FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Will Mercedes win at least 1 Championship in 2014?

FO SHO!
11%
Most likely yes
39%
Most likely no
22%
Definitely not
6%
Great...another Merc topic, stfu already H278
22%
The factory teams have an advantage, but there are so many variables really anyone could win a championship this year. Nothing is stopping Caterham having a stroke of genius and designing a car that does every race as a 1 stop, or has 25% more downforce than everyone else etc.

Renault could give them an engine that doesnt finish a race
The factory teams have an advantage, but there are so many variables really anyone could win a championship this year. Nothing is stopping Caterham having a stroke of genius and designing a car that does every race as a 1 stop, or has 25% more downforce than everyone else etc.

Renault could give them an engine that doesnt finish a race

And so could Mercedes (Not Caterham obviously, otherwise theres some dodgy switching going on)
The clues were there on the engine makers

I haven't voted simply because we have no idea what each team has produced. As operaman says, until someone proves they have better performance, you have to stick with Red Bull as the front runners.

But as jabber says, we do have an idea of what each teams has produced by the requests put forward for changes in the regs. For example Lotus requested more time and have now confirmed they will not be at Jerez, therefore confirming that the request for more time meant they have run out of time
Renault have similarly requested more time. Merc have not, therefore Merc are more ready within the agreed time than Renault.

Agreed that RBR would be the default flagbearer, however this would be akin to sticking our heads in the sand till the first race. Assuming we prefer to speculate, and assuming we are willing to rise to the challenge posed by the OP then to bet against Merc ONLY because of past history could be a cop out

History provides us with facts that say that everytime there has been an engine change, the engine makers and works teams have gained more than the none engine makers. So already we have rational reasons to place Merc Ferrari and RBR ahead of the rest. And as mentioned the facts so far point to Renault being less prepared than the other two.
(Almost) after the 3rd day of testing at Bahrain's last week I'm beginning to think we might have overestimated Merc's pace advantage. Lewis says there'll be about couple of tenths between Merc and others, and Williams are also making some serious times at will. Plus Merc have not been the most reliable team thus far, McLaren have pretty much matched Merc in reliability and Williams has done even better.

Nevertheless, it's a strong position to be in and I think we'd love to see Merc and their drivers go head to head against 4-5 other quality drivers with a tight fight through the season. I still very much believe Merc will have the WCC by the end, and either Lewis to be WDC again this year OR a shock WDC (from McLaren's Kevin or even Williams!). Don't know why but Lewis has never had a straightforward year to achieve wins/WDCs (it's always a huge fight!) so I figure lots of drama is in store. :hooli-popcorn:
What I reckon is that Merc started the Bharain testing with the most aggressive cooling, and have tried a few different ones. Basically they have not run the tightest one since day 1, and have done the whole test with the most cautious cooling, because they are preparing for many different races through the year.

The clue is that Rosberg did a faster time on softs that day than he did today on SS. I reckon the Mercs have another second to come in outright 1 lap, due to tyres, Lewis and cooling
I'm still on target with what I've voted. :D:D:D

See our F1 related articles too!