FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
Interesting reading of an article (bit long) that we should *ALL* read in it's entirety. :D
Scientists have spent over a hundred years formulating theories to explain the existence of Aston Martins. In 1899, the economist Thorstein Veblen published his seminal work The Theory of the Leisure Class, in which he postulated that we buy expensive things not so much for their inherent qualities, but for the attention we receive as we experience said object. He predicted the rise of modern image-driven marketing, which accords value to things exactly because they are expensive and seemingly exclusive – the reason why people pay a premium for a Lexus RX over its mechanical twin the Toyota Highlander. In Veblen's worldview, Aston Martins exist because of how they make other people feel, ejector seats or no.

The experiment...

To assess the pulling power of a hot Porsche in the lek, Saad and Vongas had 39 male college students drive two different cars for an hour each, first in crowded city (lek) and then in open highway (non-lek) environments. The cars? One was a clapped-out 1990 Camry wagon with almost 200,000 miles on the clock. The other was a 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet. During their drives in each car, drivers had saliva samples taken to evaluate changes in testosterone levels while in the lek (city driving with lots of witnesses) and out of the lek (on the highway, with nobody there to witness their driving). To eliminate testosterone level variations due to individuals slaking their need for speed, each student promised not to burst posted speed limits.

Rejoice!

after driving the 911 Cabriolet, drivers experienced remarkable increases in testosterone.

Full Article Here
By myownalias
So basically driving a high powered sports car increases testosterone levels; gee, what a surprise! :yikes:

Don't think it's exclusive to Porsches' though... anything that does 0 - 60 in less than four seconds will get the juices flowing (hopefully not literally, don't want to ruin those expensive seats). :wink:
By bud
Um Aston Martins exist for other people? Suggesting they are luxury cars. Surely you'd group them with the Porsche for some adrenaline action. :confused:

and even then technically you would group the big super cars with the luxury look at me cars when for 1/4 of the price you can get similar performance elsewhere.
By What's Burning?
So basically driving a high powered sports car increases testosterone levels; gee, what a surprise! :yikes:

Don't think it's exclusive to Porsches' though... anything that does 0 - 60 in less than four seconds will get the juices flowing (hopefully not literally, don't want to ruin those expensive seats). :wink:

Hey I don't make the rules of society, but I do now fully expect to have my grunts excused.
By darwin dali
According to the Urban Dictionary:

Porsche

German for Peni$ Extension
When Johnny reached the humble age of 45, he looked down and thought 'I know what'll make it look bigger....a Porsche!'
By What's Burning?
According to the Urban Dictionary:

Porsche

German for Peni$ Extension
When Johnny reached the humble age of 45, he looked down and thought 'I know what'll make it look bigger....a Porsche!'

Minivandriversayswhat? :whip:
By Fred_C_Dobbs
I've been a licensed aeroplane pilot almost as long as I've been a licensed automobile driver. There's a saying among pilots that you can't lay claim to being a true stick-and-rudder man unless unless you can (competently) fly a tail-dragger. The same holds true for sports car guys and the 911. The only thing I've ever driven that was as challenging (and rewarding) was a Corvair Monza, and for exactly the same reasons.

If you can manage to afford a Porsche by the time you've reached the age of 45, you should count your blessings that you at least can enjoy driving one your final 25 years.
By What's Burning?
I've been a licensed aeroplane pilot almost as long as I've been a licensed automobile driver. There's a saying among pilots that you can't lay claim to being a true stick-and-rudder man unless unless you can (competently) fly a tail-dragger. The same holds true for sports car guys and the 911. The only thing I've ever driven that was as challenging (and rewarding) was a Corvair Monza, and for exactly the same reasons.

If you can manage to afford a Porsche by the time you've reached the age of 45, you should count your blessings that you at least can enjoy driving one your final 25 years.

You just reminded me of this tragedy in Oshkosh. I happened to be at an air show in 2008 and spoke to a WWII Avenger pilot (87 years old!) about the Oshkosh crash, and remember his saying that landing blind in a tail dragger on a carrier was the scariest thing he'd ever done in his life.

I wouldn't rate the experience as quite the same, but a rear engined read wheel drive car is a handful.

[youtube]8I0J3hhj4X8[/youtube]
By What's Burning?
I'm learning to drive all over again. In my lifetime of driving I had never driven a rear wheel drive rear engined car. Then I had this realization; that's what my buddies on the grid drive.

Yesterday was a nice day and I spent the bulk of it just driving my new mistress. It's a blast to drive, actually STEER the car with the accelerator pedal. :twisted:

The flip side? It's also a pee your pants experience when you misjudge a turn when driving hard and you lift the gas.
By darwin dali
I'm learning to drive all over again. In my lifetime of driving I had never driven a rear wheel drive rear engined car. Then I had this realization; that's what my buddies on the grid drive.

Yesterday was a nice day and I spent the bulk of it just driving my new mistress. It's a blast to drive, actually STEER the car with the accelerator pedal. :twisted:

The flip side? It's also a pee your pants experience when you misjudge a turn when driving hard and you lift the gas.

Just don't lift the gas then and bend it like Beckham :P
By andrew
Top tip - ignore the middle pedal. Apparently, it causes you to slow down and only serves to impede your progress. :hehe:
By scotty
WB i take it you have a 911 then? Which?

See our F1 related articles too!