Buemi aims to end F1 reserve ‘torture’ in 2014

Sebastien Buemi has admitted a sports car programme in 2013 is some compensation for having to watch every grand prix from the reserve bench.

“Yes, it’s terrible,” the Swiss said, when after being retained as Red Bull’s official reserve driver for 2013 was asked if sitting on the sidelines is difficult.

“Real torture!” Buemi, 24, said as he recalled last year, the first season after being dropped by Red Bull’s junior team Toro Rosso.

He had hoped to return to the grid in 2013, but instead has signed on for the Red Bull reserve role yet again.

“Given the circumstances, it is the best option,” said Buemi.

“I didn’t have the opportunity to sign with a competitive team, so I decided to stay with the (Red Bull) team, who have just won the titles again.

“Working with Red Bull Racing is only a plus for my career.”

But he admitted that Sundays at the scores of grands prix around the globe are far from fun.

“Definitely, for a driver there’s nothing worse than not being on the track,” he is quoted by Russia’s f1news.ru website.

Buemi, however, said some recompense is his continuing race programme with Toyota. Last year, Buemi’s hybrid prototype was running third in the fabled Le Mans 24 hours when teammate Anthony Davidson crashed heavily.

“Yes, I have signed a contract with Toyota and will be at the start at Le Mans and at least three other races,” he said. “I also have 15 days of testing so it’s a good programme.

“Also at the grands prix I won’t just be a spectator, I will again work as an expert on TV.”

Buemi said he will try again to make his F1 race return for 2014.

“Nothing can be ruled out,” he insisted. “The situation in formula one is changing rapidly.

“But even if at the end of the year Mark Webber finishes his career, it is clear that there will be a lot of applicants for his place.”

Source:GMM

No 2013 race return for Buemi

Sebastien Buemi has kicked off his new year by learning he will not be making his return to the formula one grid in 2013.

Switzerland’s Blick newspaper reports that the 24-year-old has been told he is out of the running to secure the vacant Force India race seat.

Veteran correspondent Roger Benoit said Buemi, who lost his Toro Rosso drive at the end of 2011, will now work instead on having his deal as Red Bull’s official reserve driver extended.

Benoit said Buemi, who had also been linked with a Ferrari test deal, wants that new Red Bull contract in place “as quickly as possible”.

“Buemi will not comment at this time. First he needs to safeguard his future,” the journalist wrote.

Blick added that the Ferrari-linked Frenchman Jules Bianchi, and former team driver Adrian Sutil, are now the favourites to become Paul di Resta’s new teammate at Force India.

Source:GMM

Contenders line up for 2013 Force India seat

The contenders are lining at the door to fill Force India’s vacancy for 2013.

With Nico Hulkenberg switching to Sauber, there are plenty of suitors for the seat alongside Paul di Resta. Spain’s Marca sports daily said Pirelli tester Jaime Alguersuari has been offered a drive by BMW to race in the DTM touring car series next year.

“But he is exhausting his options to get into a F1 car next year before considering the proposal,” read the report.

Another contender is Force India’s current reserve driver, Jules Bianchi, who practiced in the team’s 2012 car during Friday practice in Abu Dhabi.

“This was the first time that I was so close to him,” the Nicolas Todt-managed driver, referring to Hulkenberg in the sister car, said after Friday’s running. “It is positive and a good time to get a good result.

“I know there are many other drivers who want to be in the team, but I think they (Force India) are happy with me and we’ll see what they decide,” he is quoted by L’Equipe.

Also linked with the 2013 drive have been Adrian Sutil and Sebastien Buemi. With a bigger hatful of sponsors, however, is Bruno Senna, and according to Finland’s Turun Sanomat, Williams last week allowed the option on his current contract to lapse.

Yet another contender is Brazilian GP2 driver Luiz Razia, who is also sponsored.

“If I had no sponsors, I would pack my bags and go home now,” he told Radio Globo. “To debut on a good team like Force India would really accelerate the process of coming to a really good team in two or three years.”

Source:GMM

Marko: Buemi could go to Force India

Red Bull’s reserve driver Sebastien Buemi on Sunday had a meeting with Force India officials, Blick newspaper reports from India.

The Swiss, who lost his Toro Rosso race seat at the end of last season, has already been named as a possible successor for the probably Sauber-bound Nico Hulkenberg. Red Bull’s Dr Helmut Marko also seemed to confirm the possibility Buemi is in with a shot of the Force India cockpit.

“If Buemi doesn’t go to Force India,” he is quoted by the Swiss newspaper Blick, “then we want to keep him. He might also do the (sports car) endurance world championship with Toyota,” added Marko.

Source:GMM

Buemi hopes to announce 2013 return soon

Sebastien Buemi has revealed he is confident he will return to the grid in 2013.

Like the now Pirelli tester Jaime Alguersuari, Swiss Buemi was ousted by Toro Rosso at the end of last year but retained by team owner Red Bull as the main team’s F1 reserve. Dr Helmut Marko has said he is happy to keep Buemi, 23, at Red Bull Racing next season, but at the same time vowed to not stand in his way should he be offered a 2013 race seat.

With Nico Hulkenberg heading to Sauber to replace the McLaren-bound Sergio Perez, it has been reported that Buemi is a leading contender to move to Force India in 2013. But, reportedly, so too are Spaniard Alguersuari and also the well-backed former Force India driver Adrian Sutil.

Buemi told the French-language RMC: “Everything is going well in the discussions for next year. But as long as nothing is done, I’d rather not talk about it. But it is on track and I hope to announce something soon,” he added.

Source:GMM

Red Bull would release Buemi for 2013 race seat

Red Bull is prepared to release Sebastien Buemi in the event the Swiss can find a way back onto the F1 grid.

Having lost his Red Bull-funded Toro Rosso race seat at the end of last year, the 23-year-old was thrown a lifeline when he became the energy drink squad’s official reserve driver. But with race seats potentially up for grabs all the way through the 2013 grid, including at Sauber and Force India and also Caterham, speculation has linked Buemi with a possible return to action.

“I don’t want to always be the third driver,” he is quoted by Blick newspaper.

The report said Red Bull has offered to keep Buemi on board as its reserve, test and simulator driver.

“Yes, we are more than satisfied with Sebastien’s work,” agreed Red Bull driver manager Dr Helmut Marko. “But if he can go racing somewhere, we are not going to stand in his way.”

Source:GMM

Buemi confident of 2013 F1 return

Sebastien Buemi is confident he can return to the Formula One grid in 2013. After being dropped by Red Bull’s driver development team Toro Rosso, the 23-year-old Swiss was signed for 2012 by the energy drink’s premier championship winning team as its official reserve.

“It’s good,” Buemi told the German language Swiss newspaper 20 Minuten.

“Red Bull is the number one team in Formula One and I have a foot in the door. This is important if I want to return to the grid next year.”

As to how his search for a 2013 race cockpit is going, Buemi insisted he has “options”.

“I can’t tell you any more before the ink is dry on a contract,” he said. “But I can say that it looks good at the moment.”

Buemi categorically ruled out switching to F1’s struggling backmarkers Marussia or HRT. Asked if he would trade his spot on the reserve bench for a seat at one of those small teams, Buemi insisted: “No, I would not.

“Of course I want to race again, but those teams are just too far away from the others. You’re not in the right race if after 15 laps you’re trying not to be in people’s way.”

Asked if that means he is in talks with a ‘serious, competitive team’ for 2013, Buemi answered clearly: “Yes.” Naturally, he would not be on the market at all if Red Bull had kept its 2012 lineup instead of opting for newcomers Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne.

Asked about that, Buemi answered: “Currently it’s not going too well for Toro Rosso, they’ve got less points than they did in 2011, but I’m not thinking about it.

“The Toro Rosso chapter is over for me and in the past.”

He said he will not be echoing his former teammate Jaime Alguersuari’s much harsher criticism in the wake of the Toro Rosso driver clean-sweep.

“I’m grateful to Red Bull,” insisted Buemi, “they’ve helped me a lot. I don’t want to talk about how it ended with Toro Rosso. It is what it is — I can’t change it.”

Source:GMM

Horner offers Buemi same job for 2013

Red Bull has indicated it is keen to keep Sebastien Buemi on board as reserve driver next year. The Swiss was dumped as junior team Toro Rosso’s race driver at the end of 2011, but Red Bull Racing chief Christian Horner has indicated he is very happy with the 23-year-old’s performance in his new role.

“In the simulator he’s doing a sensational job,” the Briton told the Swiss newspaper Blick. “Technically he is very good, and in the simulator he can adapt to the driving style of both the race drivers without any problems. That’s pretty unique,” Horner added.

Buemi said earlier this week there is a possibility he could do some driving during a Friday morning practice session this season. Horner apologised as he said that will not be possible.

But he added: “He will have a job with us in 2013 if he wants. We absolutely want to keep him.”

Buemi, however, wants to return to racing next year.

“That’s quite understandable,” said Horner. “But Sebastien knows that he always has a job with us.”

Source:GMM

Buemi to get back to racing in F1

Sebastien Buemi has revealed he is hoping to appear on the Formula One timesheets in 2012.

The 23-year-old Swiss was dropped by junior team Toro Rosso at the end of last year but then appointed by Red Bull as the main team’s 2012 reserve. He works in the Milton Keynes simulator, does straightline aerodynamic tests and attends all the grands prix in case Mark Webber or Sebastian Vettel cannot race.

And Buemi told Italiaracing: “I don’t know if it’s with Toro Rosso or Red Bull, but I hope to be able to drive in the first (practice) session of a grand prix soon.”

No longer part of F1’s headline act, he is still doing some driving: Buemi demonstrated the 2010 title-winning Red Bull at the recent Nurburgring round of the Renault World Series.

“It’s a way to keep driving in some way,” Buemi said. “For the demos the car is not the current one, but there are aerodynamic tests too. I went through a difficult winter after being released (from Toro Rosso),” he admitted, “but it is important that I stayed in the Red Bull family.

“Hopefully I can get back to racing in F1 — I’m working on it. I don’t know if it can be with Red Bull, I think Webber could stay, but there may be other options,” added Buemi.

Source:GMM

Glock almost certain to miss Valencia race

Timo Glock will almost certainly sit out Sunday’s European grand prix.

The German sat out qualifying on Saturday, and according to multiple media sources he was travelling to a local hospital for checks whilst his usual rivals were in action on the Valencia street circuit. Marussia has described the 30-year-old’s ailment as a “stomach bug”, but sources say he could be suffering from either food poisoning or a virus.

Bild newspaper said he will “almost certainly” not race on Sunday, even though the FIA has said that despite him missing qualifying, he will be allowed to compete subject to a medical green light.

But the German publication said doctors have in fact advised Glock to sit out Valencia, particularly as over the past few days, his body has been unable to retain many fluids.

Sunday in the Spanish port city is expected to be hot and dry.

Marussia’s test driver Maria de Villota does not have a mandatory FIA super license.

Red Bull reserve Sebastien Buemi told Auto Motor und Sport he offered to race in Glock’s place, but Marussia will in fact contest the European grand prix with only one car in the event Glock is not fit to return.

“Our objective for Sunday’s race, whatever it may hold, will simply be to do the best job possible in the circumstances,” said team boss John Booth.

Source:GMM