Magny Cours has lodged an application to be considered for F1’s 2013 calendar.
French language sources RMC, L’Equipe and AFP said the application was given to the country’s sanctioning body FFSA this week. The reports said Paul Ricard also intends to apply for consideration next week.
RMC claimed that while the FFSA did not comment, both Magny Cours and Paul Ricard propose to host one race every two years, in alternation with another country.
F1’s governing FIA is expected to publish the draft of the 2013 calendar in early October.
FFSA president Nicolas Deschaux is quoted by L’Equipe as saying France will only return to the calendar if it can convince F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone.
“The commercial rights holder does not hear arguments of the heart,” he warned.
Former French grand prix venue Magny Cours has confirmed that a ‘young drivers test’ will take place at the circuit in central France next month.
We reported on July 19 that Ferrari and Mercedes were planning to run at the circuit in mid September after Monza, as per the F1 teams’ allowed days of testing this year for inexperienced drivers.
Other teams have either already run at Silverstone in July, or plan to stick to the original plan to test after November’s Abu Dhabi grand prix.
Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport said in July that smaller teams had ruled out joining Ferrari and Mercedes at Magny Cours because they have “neither the material nor the staff to complete a parallel programme” just days before freight sets off for Singapore.
But Magny Cours announced that Force India will in fact be joining Ferrari and Mercedes at the test held between September 11 and 13.
“We have worked tirelessly to upgrade the venue, which has just been homologated to F1 standards for another four years,” said the circuit’s chairman Serge Saulnier. “This is an extremely positive step forward as we seek to return formula one racing to our circuit,” he added.
Ferrari and Mercedes will test at the former French grand prix venue at Magny Cours in mid September.
Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport said the circuit is one of no fewer than three venues selected by F1 teams to complete their allowed days of ‘young driver’ running in 2012. The magazine said the three-venue solution is a farcical outcome, after the scheduled end-of-season Abu Dhabi test plans disintegrated due to team disharmony.
The bulk of the teams are, however, sticking with Abu Dhabi, including Red Bull, McLaren, Lotus, Force India, Sauber, Toro Rosso and Caterham. Williams, HRT and Marussia ran at Silverstone last week.
Auto Motor und Sport said the Magny Cours session will take place in the week after the Italian grand prix. The report said midfield teams ruled out joining Ferrari and Mercedes in France because they have “neither the material nor the staff to complete a parallel programme” just days before freight sets off for Singapore.