Fernando Alonso set the fastest time on day two of the 2011 pre-season test at Valencia today.
The Ferrari man was quickest with a 1m13.307, three tenths ahead of yesterday’s leader Sebastian Vettel, who slotted into second place today. Force India’s Paul di Resta continued his impressive form by again going third fastest after 111 laps, although he was again in the older car.
McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton, back behind the wheel for the first time this year, clocked the fourth fastest time of the day. He was in a McLaren that could best be described as a hotchpotch – incorporating some new parts on what was fundamentally the old chassis. The Woking team are thought to be confident that their 2011 MP4-26 will be competitive, particularly given their 2009 mastery of KERS, the system which returns this season.
The new Lotus T128, which had hitherto only been seen in virtual form, made its first public appearance in the hands of Heikki Kovalainen. Although it was slowest of the fifteen runners, Kovalainen enthused about the car to the press afterwards. Meanwhile, HRT refugee Karun Chandhok is strongly rumoured to have taken the position of reserve driver at the team.
Sergio Perez, the debutant Mexican, got his first outing today for Sauber, as did Williams’ Pastor Maldonado.
The teams have one more day of testing at the Circuit Ricardo Tormo.
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Alonso Ferrari 1m13.307s 108
2. Vettel Red Bull Renault 1m13.614s +0.307 43
3. Di Resta Force India Mercedes 1m13.844s +0.537 111 *
4. Hamilton McLaren Mercedes 1m14.353s +1.046 83 *
5. Kubica Renault 1m14.412s +1.105 104
6. Rosberg Mercedes 1m14.645s +1.338 69
7. Glock Virgin Cosworth 1m15.408s +2.101 34 *
8. Barrichello Williams Cosworth 1m16.023s +2.716 51
9. Perez Sauber Ferrari 1m16.198s +2.891 42
10. Maldonado Williams Cosworth 1m16.266s +2.959 29
11. Buemi Toro Rosso Ferrari 1m16.359s +3.052 46
12. Alguersuari Toro Rosso Ferrari 1m16.474s +3.167 64
13. Webber Red Bull Renault 1m17.365s +4.058 17
14. Karthikeyan HRT Cosworth 1m17.769s +1.165 80 *
15. Kovalainen Lotus Renault 1m20.649s +7.342 15
* 2010 car
All Timing Unofficial