Superfund rule out bidding for team slot

Alex Wurz has confirmed that Team Superfund will not be bidding for the last space on the grid, left vacant after BMW’s decision to leave the sport at the end of the current season.

The team, headed by both Wurz and Christian Baha, had originally applied for one of three team slots in the FIA’s initial selection process earlier this year, only to lose out to Campos, USF1 and Manor Motorsport.

However with BMW-Sauber’s failure to sign the Concorde Agreement before its deadline, last Wednesday, it is believed that the FIA president, Max Mosley, had included Superfund on his reserve list.

Despite this, Wurz, who has been linked with a race seat at the new team US F1, says Superfund is no longer interested in continuing to pursue its F1 venture.

“On the one hand it is too late, and on the other hand there is no longer the budget limit of 45 million Euros,” he told the Austrian national broadcaster ORF.