The Spa-Francorchamps course has recently been upgraded with an all new final chicane, changes to the pit entry and start-finish straight and revamped paddock area.
Lewis Hamilton was on form again as he finished top of the testing times of the first day, four-tenths ahead of the second fastest man, BMW-Sauber s Robert Kubica. Felipe Massa headed home in third, a full eight-tenths of a second behind Lewis Hamilton.
The day was not without it s dramas as Nelson Piquet Jnr s car stopped just after the final chicane, causing the red flags to come out. Piquet Jnr was in the R27 testing out some new updates to the car. David Coulthard had a torrid day early in the day, he suffered from some gearbox problems; Mid-afternoon, he car stopped out on track causing the red flags to come out whilst he waited to be rescued.
Vinantonio Liuzzi also caused a red flag when some of his bodywork came off his car. He also suffered from some mechanical problems with a transmission problem towards the end of the day.
Two drivers in line to take over from Christijan Albers were out on track Christian Klien in the Honda and Giedo van der Garde in the Spyker.
Unofficial Times for Day 1 of testing at Spa
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:46.613 81
2. Kubica BMW-Sauber (B) 1:47.059 80
3. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:47.469 63
4. R.Schumacher Toyota (B) 1:47.787 69
5. Piquet Renault (B) 1:47.997 50
6. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:48.243 53
7. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:48.287 64
8. Liuzzi Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:49.179 63
9. Rossiter Super Aguri-Honda (B) 1:49.228 60
10. Klien Honda (B) 1:49.419 63
11. van de Garde Spyker-Ferrari (B) 1:49.712 53