The legendary Senna name is set to return to Formula One next season after Campos Meta 1 confirmed that Bruno Senna will drive for the team in their debut season.
Bruno, nephew of three-times World Champion Ayrton Senna, had revealed that an agreement had been reached on his Twitter page, but such a deal was not confirmed by the team until Saturday morning.
Speaking on behalf of Campos Meta 1, CEO Enrique Rodriguez de Castro said that the team was honoured to have signed Senna for 2010.
“For Campos Meta 1, it is an extraordinary honour to be returning the name Senna to Formula 1.” he said.
“The deal with Senna confirms and re-enforces our prime objective of being not only the first Spanish Formula 1 team, but rather the first Iberian-American F1 team. The 2014 World Cup, the 2016 Olympics, and three drivers in F1 – it’s clear that Brazil is coming up.”
De Castro also paid tribute to the speed in which Senna has risen to F1, with the Brazilian having very limited experience with single-seater racing cars in comparison to other competitors.
“We have followed him closely since his early days in minor series and testified how quickly he developed his speed and skills at GP2 to become one of the most promising up-and-coming drivers of his generation.
“It is astonishing how fast he is entering the F1 scenario after just a few years in motor racing.”
Bruno Senna was also delighted with the deal stating: “I’m absolutely delighted to fulfil a lifetime dream. Now it is time to set new targets. The project that Campos Meta 1 developed is designed to succeed both on and off the track.”