Michael Schumacher’s future is a hot topic in the Monte Carlo paddock.
A multiple winner in the Principality, the seven time world champion’s comeback career has been far less glitzy, with some – even his boss Nick Fry – predicting he might return to retirement at the end of his 2012 contract. Key ally, friend and former Ferrari colleague – and Mercedes team boss – Ross Brawn, however, backed Schumacher in the wake of Fry’s remarks, insisting it is the Brackley based team that has “let him down”.
And not everyone thinks Schumacher’s time is up.
“Michael is in top shape physically and mentally, there’s no reason for him to stop,” former teammate and now British television pundit Johnny Herbert told Sport Bild. “He’s better now than in the first two years of his comeback.”
German Schumacher, meanwhile, batted away the speculation about 2013 on Wednesday.
“So far we’re not focusing on (that). It’s more about what happens right now, so there’s no news for you yet,” said the 43-year-old in Monaco. “Let’s leave it at that.”