Nico Rosberg was quickest in this morning’s first practice session for the Canadian Grand Prix at Montreal, while championship leader Sebastian Vettel crashed.
The Mercedes man was able to dip into the 1m15s bracket, no mean feat, despite suffering cooling issues late in the session.
The infamous Wall of Champions, which follows the chicane into the pit straight, claimed its latest high-profile victim in Sebastian Vettel just over halfway through FP1. The German carried too much speed into the first part of the tricky chicane and clouted the wall on the outside which still bears the legend “Bienvenue au Quebec”. The action was red-flagged for a short period.
It is unclear as to the extent of the damage to Vettel’s car but he took no further part in the session. His front end appeared to be severely damaged.
Meanwhile, Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso had looked competitive for most of the session and eventually ended with the second fastest time. Michael Schumacher clocked third with Felipe Massa fourth – despite a few hairy moments for the Brazilian.
Jenson Button – not unduly troubled by a DRS issue – ended up fifth quickest with a dashboard-less Lewis Hamilton sixth.
The top ten was rounded out by Rubens Barrichello, Paul di Resta, Nick Heidfeld and Nico Hulkenberg driving in his Force India testing role.
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m15.591s 32
2. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m16.139s + 0.548 27
3. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m16.549s + 0.958 30
4. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m16.658s + 1.067 26
5. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m16.676s + 1.085 20
6. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m16.842s + 1.251 19
7. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1m16.990s + 1.399 28
8. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m17.294s + 1.703 26
9. Nick Heidfeld Renault 1m17.445s + 1.854 28
10. Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 1m17.549s + 1.958 20
11. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m17.662s + 2.071 27
12. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m17.820s + 2.229 30
13. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m18.458s + 2.867 31
14. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m18.506s + 2.915 15
15. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m18.648s + 3.057 35
16. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m18.852s + 3.261 8
17. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m18.932s + 3.341 20
18. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1m19.274s + 3.683 29
19. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 1m19.422s + 3.831 30
20. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m19.577s + 3.986 26
21. Jerome D’Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1m19.838s + 4.247 31
22. Tonio Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth 1m19.960s + 4.369 23
23. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m20.520s + 4.929 21
24. Narain Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth 1m20.839s + 5.248 27
All Timing Unofficial