FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By Hammer278
Very refined looking car though I must say the legendary McLarenF1 still looks meaner than this one!

The price is surprisingly low for such a marque! I would've expected it to be at least in the EU250000 range.
By bud
It's on the front cover of Wheels magazines march issue down here. Its awesome the 12C has brake steer which was banned from the MP4-12 F1 car in the late 90s!
McLaren claim this is the best handling supercar ever made. With scientific tests to back it up! That's a big claim!
In my opinion,in this instance beauty goes up to just under the skin. So many supercar designs miss the mark, and no amount of performance can make up for the love (or lack of) created by a first impression.
By Gaz
I'd have one over the 458 anyway its a better car on a performance level.

Its more driver focused For example its got a media centre within the car on its own screen, the ferrari uses a digital screen to show sat-nav or speed so you can either know where your going but not how fast your going.

Or know how fast your going but not where your off to.

on top of that its more subtle and looks more user freindly for day to day stuff.
My neighbor recently got a 458... and I've spent some time critically looking at it, and it simply isn't a good looking car in my opinion. His previous Ferrari was a Modena, and that was a much better looking car.

I know ultimately there is bragging rights on performance, but 99% of these super cars purchased are NEVER going to set their pretty little tires on a track, where the performance could be enjoyed. So given that the performance difference in acceleration and other factors (not necessarily top speed) I'd tend to judge a supercar I would be plunking my money for as much with my eyes as with the seat of my pants.
By Gaz
My neighbor recently got a 458... and I've spent some time critically looking at it, and it simply isn't a good looking car in my opinion. His previous Ferrari was a Modena, and that was a much better looking car.

I know ultimately there is bragging rights on performance, but 99% of these super cars purchased are NEVER going to set their pretty little tires on a track, where the performance could be enjoyed. So given that the performance difference in acceleration and other factors (not necessarily top speed) I'd tend to judge a supercar I would be plunking my money for as much with my eyes as with the seat of my pants.

Yeh, but if you want a car thats going to occasionaly see the track and at other times be a nice place to be on top of being fun to drive around i'd say thats the Mclaren.
By hounddub
I love the car, but frankly it's just not special enough in its aethetic design. The Ferrari might not be everyone cuppa, and Lamborghini is a little older.....but man.....at least both of them LOOK more than a jacked up Exige!

But....to drive no doubt it's great.
By Gaz
I love the car, but frankly it's just not special enough in its aethetic design. The Ferrari might not be everyone cuppa, and Lamborghini is a little older.....but man.....at least both of them LOOK more than a jacked up Exige!

But....to drive no doubt it's great.

Yeh but its subltle which is better than having massive wedges of carbon fiber sticking out everywhere like the italians

If i wanted a spaceship i'd buy a lambo

If i wanted a supercar i can use everyday its the Mclaren its alot like the R8 but better.
By Hammer278

I'd agree with this assessment, if I owned a supercar someday I would be visiting the tracks once in a while but I wouldn't care if my car was half a second slower to hit 200kph than the other car on track. I'd just be racing myself.

Aesthetics are definitely prime, and this McLaren looks pretty good but it doesn't have the 'edge' which McLarenF1, Ferrari Modena, or any Lambo possesses. IMHO (In my humble opinion)
By scotty
It's a technically impressive, in fact incredible car - especially the suspension and chassis. Has it still not been released yet? It's been around for ages now!

But outright performance isn't the be all and end all of what makes a great supercar, for me. I agree with the sentiments regarding the relatively tame looks. I'd rather have a Gallardo Spyder for the same money i think, and just cruise round with that engine sound :cloud9::)
By texasmr2
2011 McLaren MP4-12C Release Date: As noted, McLaren expects the 12C to start sale early in calendar 2011, but hasn't been more specific. More precise timing should be announced once the car is fully production ready.

I'm looking forward to TopGears review and car mags reviews.
By FRAFPDD
Ferraris are for posers.

The Mclaren is alright but its a bit too technical.

So that leaves me with.................a SLS Amg, yes please.

German cars> All else.

See our F1 related articles too!