FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
Lets just say that if I appeared on top gear, my car history would be abysmal, or at least I think it would be.

(from 1999-on)
1st car - 86 dodge daytona
2nd car - 77 ford granada
3rd car - 93 mazda mx-3
4th car - 90 chevy caviler
5th car - 88 mecury cougar
6th car - 93 chevy lumina
and then to the car I truly love..
7th car - 97 vw passat vrx

All of the cars I had outside of maybe the mx-3 were because I just needed a car. Not to say that the VW isn't needed for transport but it is by far the funnest car I have driven. Maybe its because its a 5-speed or maybe its because its really fast for such an old car. At least to me its fast, maybe its because all my other cars sucked LOL. It just handles amazingly.

But I hate it just the same. Its been a nightmare, when I got it, some jank off tried to put thier own car alarm into it, I had to have it removed because it was just so badly done, the interior has been nearly destroyed because of what ever this previous owner was going to do to it. Drivers window doesn't roll down, back drivers door doesn't open from the outside, MY DOOR doesn't open from the outside anymore, the only door that does open from the out side is the passanger rear! TOday the damn door panel came off when I went to close it >_< the windshield wipers dont work, the washers don't work.

But god it is soo speedy and fun to drive. I think I now understand what the boys on top gear are saying when they talk about alfas haha. :rofl:
1972 Chevrolet Caprice Classic (I fit 11 people in it one time)
1980 VW Scirocco (head on collision)
1982 VW Jetta (Side Impact)
1985 VW GTI (Burned)
1984 VW GTI (lived a long useful life until it died of natural causes)
1986 VW Jetta (head on collision)
1989 VW Jetta (traded in)
1990 VW GTI 16v(Stolen)
1992 Saab 900 Turbo (sold it and regret is till this day)
1996 Chrisler Minivan (waved goodbye to happily after the lease expired)
2000 Saab 9000 (donated to meals on wheels)
2000 Saab 9000 Turbo (traded in)
Volvo V40 (traded in)
1999 VW Beetle (traded)
2000 Volvo XC (still with me)
2005 Audi A4 Avant (current ride)
1987 Porsche 944S (stillborn)

I may have missed one or two on this list, but it's pretty comprehensive of what I've purchased over the years. With the exception of the mini van, they were all loved, some much more than others.
1985 VW GTI (Burned)
1990 VW GTI 16v(Stolen)
Volvo V40 (traded in)
1999 VW Beetle (traded)

I may have missed one or two on this list, but it's pretty comprehensive of what I've purchased over the years. With the exception of the mini van, they were all loved, some much more than others.

Ah, now we know what's burning: GTI. :wink: But do tell more about that. Spontaneous combustion?
1985 VW GTI (Burned)
1990 VW GTI 16v(Stolen)
Volvo V40 (traded in)
1999 VW Beetle (traded)

Ah, now we know what's burning: GTI. :wink: But do tell more about that. Spontaneous combustion?

It was an electrical fire, about two days after my stereo had been ripped out along with 1/4 of the surrounding dashboard and wires. Mailman knocked on the door... hey, you know your car is on fire out on the drive way? Um no. That was one of the ones on the loved more than others list.
1985 VW GTI (Burned)
1990 VW GTI 16v(Stolen)
Volvo V40 (traded in)
1999 VW Beetle (traded)

It was an electrical fire, about two days after my stereo had been ripped out along with 1/4 of the surrounding dashboard and wires. Mailman knocked on the door... hey, you know your car is on fire out on the drive way? Um no. That was one of the ones on the loved more than others list.

And what's with the stillborn?
It's a sad story DD get a box of tissue's ready ok, I asked WB about this and this is what he told me, hope you don't mind WB?

Man it hurts so much I want to cry. I went, shook hands agreed on a price and my freind even offered to run to the bank he'd take the money out so I could pay the guy right on the spot.

Well, I decided to just come back the following Saturday, I wanted to get the insurance papers since I'd be driving the car across from Jersey to Pa. Well, the guy called me two days later, that the man from Massachusetts that he'd actually written up a contract with to buy the car but hadn't responded or come back to purchase the car since MAY (about 6 months had passed without him coming to pay for or pick up the car he'd just given a 500 dollar deposit) Well the guy decided to come get it since he knew He'd loose it.

At first I thought the guy was just jerking me around to try and squeeze out a couple hundred dollars more. I had taken money out, he wanted cash, I had gotten the insurance paperwork done, mentally car was mine, I was already shopping for parts to make the car more track ready.

It wasn't to be, the Massachusetts guy came and picked it up, and to this day I get sad thinking about it. Why didn't I just get it there on the spot????!!!!

It broke my heart dude! That's why I used the word stillborn, because if felt like I had lost my baby.
WB, the owner is an idiot. Normally if you've paid a deposit there's a certain time agreed to which the owner must receive the full payment otherwise the deposit is forfeited. In this case, he should've called up that guy long ago and told him "Car not for sale, and I'm keeping your 500 thank you very much". And car should be open for purchase again..

In rgds to the topic, I'm in love with my car (Queen anyone?). My ex-gf was convinced I cared more for the car than her (and she was probably right).

I'll hate it the day it lets me down. Touchwood so far 4 years I've owned it, its paid back with bulletproof reliability. Not shabby for a 15 year old.

Win. Excellent car. Same goes for your various MK2 GTIs. :wavey:

1999 VW Beetle (traded)

Fail... :hehe::twisted:

How the hell did you go from 900 Turbos and Golf GTIs to a sodding Beetle? :P

Win. Excellent car. Same goes for your various MK2 GTIs. :wavey:

1999 VW Beetle (traded)

Fail... :hehe::twisted:

How the hell did you go from 900 Turbos and Golf GTIs to a sodding Beetle? :P

HAHAHA! Fellas... understand that there's a wife involved. I bought them but I don't drive two cars at the same time. I tried to put them in chronological order but there is some overlap to the cars.

BTW, thanks for all the sentiments. Now I'm waiting for all your various lists.

I still maintain that the MK1 Sciroccos, possessed one of the most beautiful shapes ever penned onto a car.
My list is fairly short as although I held a licence it's rare that I drove in the UK, cost of ownership was too much + fuel, hired cars when I needed to!

The first and only car in the UK was a Ford Fiesta MK1 Ghia, 1.3L, which was a good little runner, fair well spec'ed with it's tape player, this was back in '93.

In the US; I have owned/rented the following.

2003 Ford Focus (rear ended, good reliable car)
2010 Ford Escape LImited (Rental, drove to Texas and back)
2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (Good runner, but has a large dent in passenger side, wife based parking incident!)
2011 Ford Fiesta SES (Rental, used it while the insurance company decided what they were going to do about the Focus, which was written off.)
2006 Saturn Vue 3.5L V6 (I love this car, despite being an SUV, it has great performance, shame about the wind noise at highway speeds.)

I didn't hate any of those cars but if I had to pick the worse one, it'd be the Chevy, it's a real boneshaker on long journeys!
83 Austin Metro L
91 Vauxhall Nova Trip
97 Vauxhall Corsa Vegas
98 Vauxhall Corsa SRI
88 Toyota Corrolla GTI
94 Honda Integra
88 Mercedes E230
00 Vauxhall Corsa GSI (Track car)
98 Mitsubishi Evolution V
88 Toyota Corrolla GTI (the same one as before)
92 Toyota Corrolla
94 Honda Civic VTI
94 Honda Civic LSi
04 Robin Hood 2b (current)
03 VW Golf TDI (current)

there are probably some I have missed out but that is most of them

See our F1 related articles too!