FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By What's Burning?
So a quick wiki explained to me what Brake Horsepower is... but it doesn't explain the reason why it's used in the UK and why we in the states say Hp and if when we say it *mean* the same as when I hear Jeremy say in a very pompous tone on TG "brake horsepower"
By texasmr2
Brake HP if I'm correct is measured at the crankshaft when a real word usage is measured at the rear wheels. JC is a pompous arse and constantly belittles not only the US but other countries/nations, he's a twit.

The only thing that really matters is trq first and then hp.
By What's Burning?
Well I know that performance geeks care about rear wheel horsepower measurement... and the definition of Bhp is basically measuring the engine with anything that would would rob performance from it removed... like an alternator and things like that and then mearured, which would give an inflated real world result and perhaps when we quote Hp it's more accurate.

I guess a little sleuthing a comparable EU spec vehicle with a US spec one and looking at their respective sales brochures would explain the measurement difference.

I was just wondering if there was a "technical" reason/difference or if it was simply a language difference.
By texasmr2
It's a language difference and I'm not a geek :hehe: !!! Also your wrong about your perception of 'real word' hp numbers needing the removal of alt's and such as a measurement is either taken from the crank or the rear wheels. You do know that the Top Fuel dragsters supercharger eats's about 200-300hp?
By darwin dali
Hey Tex, shouldn't you be taking care of business at the Chase bank in Pearland???
Vamonos muchachos!
By scotty
I'd say it's either out of habit or for marketing reasons on behalf of the manufacturer... or a bit of both!
By The_Stig_Money
I notice that in truck commercial they will say " The new 2011 ford power stroke produces 450 HP and 400 TQ"

So what they are saying is that the engine has the HP number, not the vehicle. It sound like there is more HP then what you are getting

I like the HP/ton comparison
By bud
meh, I talk Kw where I'm from. maybe ask a horse trainer... But yes I would say its measured at the Fly Wheel where there is no loss of power via the drive shaft.

JC is a pompous arse and constantly belittles not only the US but other countries/nations, he's a twit.

Oh c'mon lighten up, Are you saying there are NO American comedians who dont belittle Britain or any other country for that matter? I think theres more from the American side of things than the latter as a matter of fact...
By The_Stig_Money
I would say its measured at the Fly Wheel where there is no loss of power via the drive shaft

The transmission takes away some HP and so does the belt driven systems.

I would guess that there is about 20% HP lost to tranny, belts, and general assembly. (not to mention the power lost over 5-10 years of abuse)

The differential gears are a big factor as well
By darwin dali
lost to tranny, belts, and general assembly.

:director: Hey, leave my friends and professional equipment out of this! :twisted::whip::wink:
By bud
I would say its measured at the Fly Wheel where there is no loss of power via the drive shaft

The transmission takes away some HP and so does the belt driven systems.

I would guess that there is about 20% HP lost to tranny, belts, and general assembly. (not to mention the power lost over 5-10 years of abuse)

The differential gears are a big factor as well

Yeah it all makes a difference in power loss from the fly wheel to the rear wheels. I should have said drive train not drive shaft.
Im pretty sure manufacture power claims are based on the dyno reading at the fly wheel. In reality the cars power at the rear wheels then that power to weight ratio is what really matters.

See our F1 related articles too!