FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By stonemonkey
Anyone with experience using winter tyres? I'm looking to get some but the attitudes towards them in this country are a bit mixed up, it's my first winter as a car owner and hadn't thought about it before.
Anyway, I'm wanting to get wheels with the tyres fitted so I can do the change over myself and store them at my parents (if they have room in their garage!!) so what would be best, I have a fwd astra so should I just get 1 pair to put on the front although I guess I'd need a spare too as 1 normal and 1 winter on the front wouldn't be good if I had to change one of them, change all 4 and if I need to change one I can put the normal spare on the back or should I change all 4 and get a spare?
If you have any other tips It'd be great to hear them, thanks.
By scotty
Would tyre chains not be a cheaper alternative, and also easier to fit? I'm assuming you are in the UK and posting due to all the snow at the moment...
By texasmr2
Even though your fwd you would benefit from having all four tires the same.

Would tyre chains not be a cheaper alternative, and also easier to fit? I'm assuming you are in the UK and posting due to all the snow at the moment...

Tire chains would be a huge hassle aswell as being outdated.
By Jabberwocky
I have 3 sets of alloys for my daily runner. Summer, Winter, and Very Summer/slicks for track use of course.

I am a big fan of the summer/winter tyre change, the only problem is when winter jumps out at you... and so do tree's
By stonemonkey
Yep, Scotland. I don't see much problem with the cost, you're just running one set of tyres while the other are in storage and the cost of the winter tyres isn't much more than normal tyres although perhaps they wear a bit quicker. I don't much like the idea of chains, the local council have been clearing the main routes in/out of the city and everything else is left meaning you'd need to keep taking them off/putting them on as you're driving about. There are also the snow sock things but they're really just a temp measure if you're stuck and you can't drive around on them for any length of time and I'm going to be spending some time in the Scottish borders over Christmas.
By texasmr2
Full winter snow and ice tires or very good 'all weather' tires :wink: .
[youtube]5vhR6VYlACY[/youtube]

Now of course this also means you change you driving style to the conditions. When I'm in a serious storm, yes we get them in Texas :hehe: , or in treacherous road conditions I always switch into 4WD and lock my center differential while reducing speed and sudden movements of the steering wheel. Yet basically all you have to count on is your front tires and once they give out your rear tires will come into play and hopefully help.

Weather is the same no matter what part of the world one is in so I hope I have helped in some small way :) .
Last edited by texasmr2 on 07 Dec 10, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
By stonemonkey
Even though your fwd you would benefit from having all four tires the same.

Yup, although I've seen a few comments saying changing the front would be enough but imo I'd definitely need a spare winter tyre so probably as well to go with all four, but would I get away with the normal spare on the back temporarily if I had to?

I have 3 sets of alloys for my daily runner. Summer, Winter, and Very Summer/slicks for track use of course.

I am a big fan of the summer/winter tyre change, the only problem is when winter jumps out at you... and so do tree's

I'm not really thinking of another set of alloys tbh.
By texasmr2
but would I get away with the normal spare on the back temporarily if I had to?

Yes you would as long as it is a good condition 'all weather' tire and you take that into consideration while on that tire. I'm not trying to sound like 'mister know it all' but my experiences with such driving conditions for 30yr's has taught me alot, especially after crashing a friends Mustang into the barrier during an ice storm :hehe: .

Don't think about having alloys on your winter tires unless you can afford them. The basic low option rims will suffice aswell as keeping the suspension geometry in check ie stock which provides the best tire print ie traction.
Last edited by texasmr2 on 07 Dec 10, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
By stonemonkey
but would I get away with the normal spare on the back temporarily if I had to?

Yes you would as long as it is a good condition 'all weather' tire and you take that into consideration while on that tire. I'm not trying to sound like 'mister know it all' but my experiences with such driving conditions for 30yr's has taught me alot, especially after crashing a friends Mustang into the barrier during an ice storm :hehe: .

Not at all Tex, it's peoples experience that I'm after, thanks.
By What's Burning?
Depends on where you live.

This year I actually bought to sets, an all season set for my Audi A4 quattro, and a winter set for an old workhorse Volvo cross crountry wagon.

The all season were Continentals Extremcontact DWS. They were 235/45 17" ...Best all around tire I've ever driven on, very sticky, they track amazingly well, quiet and it's remarcable in the rain, plus will get decent winter traction at least their first year of life.

The other set was a Continental Extremwintercontac. I had previously only bought Blizzak but I was so happy with the previous set I got these Continentals as well... My daughter drives this car and we get hit pretty hard sometimes with snow (like last year) here in PA so this one needs to bite well. I have a long driveway out of my home, it's paved but does have a steep 10% slope to it. With worn all seaons, the cars can't make it up with even a couple of inches of snow. Last year with full winters no issues going up or coming down, even with 3 and 4 inches of snow on the ground.

Advice though, since other have also said it, don't waste time get 4 winters, period. Even if you have to stretch for the cost of them.
By What's Burning?

Mustangs crash into barriers with the moisture from the morning's dew on the road... never mind a full blown ice storm. :D
By texasmr2

Mustangs crash into barriers with the moisture from the morning's dew on the road... never mind a full blown ice storm. :D

Not with the right tires :hehe: ! No seriously your tires are your life line so do not compromise if possible, drive safe ok.
By stonemonkey
Thanks, this all helps.

When storing the other tyres, any particular tips, keep them fully pressurised or not or anything else? put stickers on to know where they go.
By What's Burning?
Thanks, this all helps.

When storing the other tyres, any particular tips, keep them fully pressurised or not or anything else? put stickers on to know where they go.

Just have your pit crew sort all that stuff out. :hehe:

See our F1 related articles too!