FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By The_Stig_Money
I dont know whether to be excited or aprehensive for Top Gear America. I hope they do exotic cars and not reasonably price cars. Also i hope there challenges are epic.

It is supposed to air on History channel sometime this fall.

I have heard different line ups,but the one i like is Tanner Faust, Adam Corrola, and that guy in the middle is from a home repair show

Tanner Foust = The only race car driver on the show / Hosted many car show

Adam Corrola = One of the funniest men in the world / Hosted the man show

The other guy = James May

It is just like original Top Gear but for fat people
Last edited by The_Stig_Money on 19 Oct 10, 02:54, edited 2 times in total.
By The_Stig_Money
... But why?

That how america comes up with tv shows... takes shows from over seas.
By texasmr2
The lineup will be Tanner Faust, Adam Ferrera and Rutledge Wood (who is frickin hilarious). The show is set too air on Nov 21st on the History Channel.
http://jalopnik.com/5682130/top-gear-us ... -motorweek

Why gives a crap about how our version compares to the original, it will be entertaining just like the original and us yanks wont have to constantly listen to the drivel and constant bashing of the USA from those twits, we deal with it enough on this forum :whip: !
Last edited by texasmr2 on 22 Nov 10, 03:23, edited 1 time in total.
By Fred_C_Dobbs
The lineup will be Tanner Faust, ...

Reason enough to avoid the show like the plague.

Top Gear might as well be called "Jeremy Clarkson & Company." Without JC, it'd be just another "Motor Trend" or "NASCAR Today."
The lineup will be Tanner Faust, Adam Corrola and Rutledge Wood (who is frickin hilarious). The show is set too air on Nov 21st on the History Channel.
http://jalopnik.com/5682130/top-gear-us ... -motorweek

Why gives a crap about how our version compares to the original, it will be entertaining just like the original and us yanks wont have to constantly listen to the drivel and constant bashing of the USA from those twits, we deal with it enough on this forum :whip: !

Watching Jeremy Clarkson crash his scooter in Vietnam was the most entertaining thing the BBC has ever broadcast.
By texasmr2
The lineup will be Tanner Faust, ...

Reason enough to avoid the show like the plague.

Top Gear might as well be called "Jeremy Clarkson & Company." Without JC, it'd be just another "Motor Trend" or "NASCAR Today."

I hope and pray you are wrong BUT even before seeing the show I'm thinking you may be right :irked: .
By stonemonkey
If they try too hard to copy the format or play the roles of the guys in TopGear I dread to think what it could turn out like. If they (are allowed to) do it their own way it has more chance.
By The_Stig_Money
whoa whoa whoa

What is wrong with Tanner Foust?

Edit: Oh yea, Drifting
Last edited by The_Stig_Money on 06 Nov 10, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
I'll give the show a try. I am not expecting much, after all. They went out and got three middle of the road guys that as far as anyone can tell (with the exception of the little drift driver guy) have no passion for the topic, don't have a known background for being car guys and don't have a lick of journalistic background.

So what I'm expecting is rehashed BBC Top Gear skits but Americanized, bigger better more explosions, louder, in HD but without the inter-host banter or witty thinking mans sophomoric humor we've all come to love.

I would have respected the attempt to create an environment but no necessarily recreate skits. I mean Lenno has a history and would have been THE guy for the show... or Jerry Seinfeld... or David Letterman. All are serious car guys and all are top shelp comedians .There are half a dozen racers I can think of that would have made the show more meaningful and then throw in a respectable automotive writer or something. Maybe even the guy from Chasing Classic Cars.. he's great.

The casting is their first strike. The second strike is the fact that they're already set to rehash UK Top Gear skits... not many strikes left.

I'll watch it once or twice to give it a chance but all I keep coming back to is why? I would want the producers of the show to really think about that and then present something that clearly answers that question with a compelling reason. Otherwise it's doomed to fail.
By texasmr2
Jeez before the show has even aired it is trashed :banghead: !! F'ing pro's you all are right??? All anyone here seems to do it shat on anything and everything without having any knowledge of jack squat.

I'll give the show a try. I am not expecting much, after all. They went out and got three middle of the road guys that as far as anyone can tell (with the exception of the little drift driver guy) have no passion for the topic, don't have a known background for being car guys and don't have a lick of journalistic background.

So what I'm expecting is rehashed BBC Top Gear skits but Americanized, bigger better more explosions, louder, in HD but without the inter-host banter or witty thinking mans sophomoric humor we've all come to love.

I would have respected the attempt to create an environment but no necessarily recreate skits. I mean Lenno has a history and would have been THE guy for the show... or Jerry Seinfeld... or David Letterman. All are serious car guys and all are top shelp comedians .There are half a dozen racers I can think of that would have made the show more meaningful and then throw in a respectable automotive writer or something. Maybe even the guy from Chasing Classic Cars.. he's great.

The casting is their first strike. The second strike is the fact that they're already set to rehash UK Top Gear skits... not many strikes left.

I'll watch it once or twice to give it a chance but all I keep coming back to is why? I would want the producers of the show to really think about that and then present something that clearly answers that question with a compelling reason. Otherwise it's doomed to fail.

Why write a book about why you have already dismissed the effort before the race has even started??? :thumbdown:
By The_Stig_Money

Good point.... more explosions and louder LOL
Why write a book about why you have already dismissed the effort before the race has even started??? :thumbdown:

I've also already decided that Bruno Senna is not going to win tomorrow's race.
By madbrad
There must be dozens of shows in the US that were remakes of British shows. The best known example is Three's Company. So this isn't a surprise. I like Adam Carolla. He has some nice sportscars of his own. The other two guys I haven't heard of. Usually race drivers doing a lot of talking on car shows make it worse, but I usually tolerate it. I like Top Gear but I don't get BBC. I fear the US version will look like a wannabe Top Gear.
By Fred_C_Dobbs
Face it, there's using the same name as the UK show to try to 'borrow' some of its international popularity. But Top Gear is Clarkson. No JC, no Top Gear. I mean have you seen Top Gear Oz or TG Russia? They're bloody awful (and that's nothing to do with British Airways :hehe: ). The Russian version is hilarious precisely because it's so bad.

There must be dozens of shows in the US that were remakes of British shows. The best known example is Three's Company....

Not dozens, only four prominent ones were outright thefts. I think the best known was All In The Family. Yes, Three's Company was another, as was Sanford and Son. And The Office. But there have beendozens of BBC shows that became hits in the US without any tampering. Monty Python's Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers, Are you Being Served, Masterpiece Theater, The Prisoner, The Avengers, The Saint and too many others to mention.

In fact, Top Gear America's toughest competition undoubtedly will be the original UK version. IF TG Oz and Russia are any indication, those who tune in expecting to see a Jeremy Clarkson clone with a Bwooklyn accent will be sorely disappointed.

See our F1 related articles too!