FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By stonemonkey
For anyone that's into participating in some form of racing, I'm trying to find something out about lights on racing cars, not really F1 but just generally.

In the FIA GT series racing it's required that the reverse light bulbs are removed, what's the reason behind that? and does that extend to many other race series?
I tried to google it and only came up with you asking the same on GTP

lol yep, that's all i can find too. I've found a few pdf's that either don't mention reverse lights while stating what lights are required or state that the bulbs must be removed and one on production cars that states that they are allowed but not required. I've also just found out that reverse lights are not required for the UK MOT but that's not relevent.

What I'm after is if anyone knows the reason why they're generally removed or not fitted for cars on racing circuits.
By Gaz
For anyone that's into participating in some form of racing, I'm trying to find something out about lights on racing cars, not really F1 but just generally.

In the FIA GT series racing it's required that the reverse light bulbs are removed, what's the reason behind that? and does that extend to many other race series?

Not sure but i expect its because..

FIA GT Cars right at night at unlit circuits, if a car were to spin off and need to reverse to rejoin the race it could confuse a driver about to overtake the car that spun, as it would look as if a car was driving forward towards the driver laping normal.

Also they could dazzle a normal lapping driver.

See our F1 related articles too!