FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Recent odds for who's going to win the title this year, a few suprises.

Formula 1 Season 2007:

K Raikkonen 6 - 4
F Alonso 9 - 4
F Massa 7 - 2
J Button 12 - 1
H Kovalainen 14 - 1
G Fisichella 20 - 1
L Hamilton 20 - 1
R Barichello 28 - 1
R Kubica 33 - 1
R Schumacher 50 - 1
J Trulli 50 - 1
N Heidfeld 66 - 1
M Webber 66 - 1
D Coulthard 100 - 1
N Rosberg 100 - 1
A Wurz 100 - 1

Wouldn't mind putting a flutter on Kubica. :wink:
By Marco
Take a punt on Massa I reckon, if he drives like he did in Brazil last year, he'll be champion.
By Irv the Swerve
Massa is worth taking a look at but 7-2 is quite short. Button 12-1 is not bad either.
By R00DIT
can you explain the odds? i dont understand how betting works! :oops:
By Irv the Swerve
Say you put a £10 bet on Button (12-1). If Button wins (which he won't :) ) you get £120 pounds and your £10 back.
By darwin dali
Does this work for $$ as well? And how 'bout Euros? :P:P:mrgreen:
By Freddie
What is the source of these odds ?
By darwin dali
The plural for Euro is 'Euro' :wink::)

Official practice followed in English-language EU legislation is to use the words euro and cent as both singular and plural. [1] This practice originally arose out of legislation intended to ensure that the banknotes were uncluttered with a string of plurals (as the Soviet ruble notes were). Because the s-less plurals had become "enshrined" in EU legislation, the Commission decided to retain those plurals in English in legislation even while allowing natural plurals in other languages, but the Directorate-General for Translation strongly recommends that in all material generated by the Commission intended for the general public, the "natural plurals", euros and cents be used.
As the euro was being adopted in the Republic of Ireland, however, the Department for Finance decided to use the word euro as both the singular and plural forms of the currency, and because Irish broadcasters took their cue from the Department, the "legislative plurals" tend to also be used on the news and in much Irish advertising. This has the effect of reinforcing the s-less plurals, though many advertisers (particularly those in the United Kingdom) prefer the plurals euros and cents.
A number of people in Ireland prefer the -s plurals, and at the time the s-less plurals were introduced, at least some complained that the EU ought not attempt to change English grammar. (While it is the case that some s-less plurals were already used in English for several existing currencies—such as the yen, won, rand and baht—the s-less plural of euro was not a "natural" borrowing (from a language with no plural morphology, such as Thai) or development, people concerned about it described this as a "change" to grammar.) People who have become accustomed to what they hear on daily television and radio often use the s-less plurals, which they also see written on the notes and coins. Although usage in Ireland is disputed, common usage in the rest of the English-speaking world is to use the natural plurals. The media in the UK prefer euros and cents as the plural forms. Broadcasts of currency exchange rates outside of the European Union tend to use the -s plural, with NPR in the United States and CBC in Canada being two examples.
Any number of rationales were subsequently applied to explain why the s-less plural might be acceptable, but these are generally folk etymologies. Long-standing plurals in -s for currencies that have singular forms ending in -o, like pesos and escudos (and indeed the plural of the marsupials known as euros), are relevant when considering the plural of the euro currency. While it is true that s-less plurals exist in English for some other currencies, this usage is not the reason that the s-less plural for the euro was introduced. When (as noted above) people initially complained that the EU had no business changing English grammar, they were certainly not taking these unusual plurals as "natural"; they expected 5 euros and balked at 5 euro.
Ultimately, the euro/euros split demonstrate the strong desire to use the generalisable 's' for plural rule in English. It appears a strong public campaign would be needed to enforce a general usage of the s-less plural.
The term "euro-cent" is sometimes used in countries (such as USA, Canada, Australia) that also have "cent" as a subcurrency, to distinguish them from their local coin. This usage is not official, though is perhaps understandable, given that the coins themselves have the words "EURO" and "CENT" displayed on the common side. The terms "eurodollar", which commonly refers to US dollar deposits outside the US, or "euro dollar" which is the spoken form of the EUR/USD currency pair in the foreign exchange markets, have occasionally been used confusingly to refer to the euro in other parts of the world, particularly non-EU countries such as the United States, Canada and Australia.
Slang terms: In Ireland, the transfer of the slang term quid from the Irish pound to the euro is complete, and many people use it. The term Yoyo has also appeared and is used more and more often, particularly in the greater Dublin area. Also, fiver and tenner (originally for 5 pound- and 10 pound-notes respectively) have carried over as reference to euro notes, and grand for a thousand of any currency is also commonly used.
By Irv the Swerve
ZZZZZZzzzzzzz. :roll::)

I love the way you take things really seriously. :)
By darwin dali
Actually I learnt something here and I like to learn new things every day. So, thanks! :D
By darwin dali
Well, I hope you learnt something too, my friend. Not the least of it being that there's rarely only black and white :wink:
By Irv the Swerve
I live in Dublin and ''yoyo'' is so f**king annoying. :x

See our F1 related articles too!