FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
No works Le Mans programme from Ferrari
Formula One remains the priority...
29/06/09 10:27

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 2702.shtml

Luca di Montezemolo has now stepped away from hinting that Ferrari could field a works prototype in next year's famous 24 hours Le Mans race.

At the height of the Formula One Teams' Association power struggle with the FIA, the Ferrari President officially started June's fabled Le Mans event and hinted that sports car racing is a real alternative to Formula One for the Italian marque.

But with the battle now receding, Montezemolo has explained that Le Mans would be a difficult project to spearhead alongside Ferrari's ongoing F1 foray.

"To race at Le Mans you have to concentrate for many, many months to prepare, to test and develop a car, and I think this today is quite impossible to do at the same time as racing at the maximum level in F1," he said.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

In a way it is a shame. I'd like more manufacturers to enter into Le Mans, and Ferrari would be something special. However in these financial times I suppose that F1 is their only option.
It was all part of a threat by di Montezemolo to put pressure on Max and the FIA... besides Ferrari have enough representation with independent teams racing Ferrari's.
It was all part of a threat by di Montezemolo to put pressure on Max and the FIA... besides Ferrari have enough representation with independent teams racing Ferrari's.

in the road car GT class, a Ferrari works team would build a car in the LMP1 spec. that would be interesting to see.

in the road car GT class, a Ferrari works team would build a car in the LMP1 spec. that would be interesting to see.

yeah Bud you got that right! They would make a beaut of a car!

It probably wouldn't be enough commercial benefit in running a LMP1 car over the road based GT class cars, I doubt it would sell more Ferrari's.
It probably wouldn't be enough commercial benefit in running a LMP1 car over the road based GT class cars, I doubt it would sell more Ferrari's.

Yes, probably. But, it would be great to see non-diesel car fighting for the win. With Peugeot and Audi on board, I can't see anyone else to have chance in battle for the highest positions. I think, Ferrari would be very competitive over two or tree years in the sport.

See our F1 related articles too!