FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
s*** maybe i am old too then :eek: i was 13!

still remember that night vividly and then waking up with my mum telling me Ayrton had died. didnt want to go to school that day :(

still remember that night vividly and then waking up with my mum telling me Ayrton had died. didnt want to go to school that day :(

Yep you are also Old :wink:

Was a very sad day

Was a very sad day

oi you respect your elders :twisted:

Was a very sad day

oi you respect your elders :twisted:

NEVER!!! :hehe::twisted:
Thanks alot for pointing out how old we are all getting....jerk. I remember the day I heard about his accident....I had just come off the track from a practice session. Racing losses were more of a constant back then, meaning they seemed less rare...but that loss hurt me. I packed up, as did many others. It was a long drive home with the car on the trailer. I remember that I drove the 6 hours home without the radio on...just lost in my thoughts on what the world had just lost...and I suppose my own mortality. A sad day for motorsport to be sure. When Schumacher hit the wall and ended up breaking a leg, I thought at first we had witnessed another loss but technology has progressed and drivers are safer than they once were. The airborne wall impact of recent (BMW was it?) was a testament to the incredible engineering that is the modern F1 car. Had that been the case 15 years ago, I have no doubt Senna would have remained with us. That makes the loss all the more painful. I still honor that man's abilities.

Edit - Yes, it was Kubica's Montreal 2007 crash I was thinking of. His feet hanging out of what was left of the car...unreal. Had my GT car taken that same route, even at the reduced speeds that once street legal cars are capable of....I am not sure I would walk away...despite having far more crash cage around me than the modern F1 car. They just absorb impact so well...fantastic engineering.
Last edited by billindenver on 01 May 09, 15:10, edited 3 times in total.
I was 11, I remember watching on euro sport the helicopter looking down as they where working on him :-( I wonder how many championships Schuey would of ended up with if Senna had not died.

I think the only crash after that scared me was the Burti crash.
I was five at the time, I think. I never saw Senna race, but just reading about him makes you realise what kind of impact his death would have (and indeed, did have) upon the world of motorsports. Interestingly, over the past few days, I have only seen one person on the internet pay tribute to Roland Ratzenberger.

Watching Formula One these days it's easy to forget that people can and will die in such dangerous sports and I can only be thankful that the cars are as safe as they are today. When Kubica had that massive crash two years ago, I feared that he could have suffered injuries that would have, at the least, ended his racing career. Amazingly, he was pretty much alright (all things considered).
I was 8, and had only started watching F1 at the time but i remember it being very sad. Specially on the news during his funeral when they showed Senna's helmet on top of his coffin. :(

Edit:
I was 11, I remember watching on euro sport the helicopter looking down as they where working on him :-( I wonder how many championships Schuey would of ended up with if Senna had not died.

I think the only crash after that scared me was the Burti crash.

Ralf Schumacher's crash in USA 2004 scared me to be honest & of course Mika's shunt in 1995 in Adelaide.
I was 8 years old and my 9th birthday was the following day...

RIP Ayrton and Roland

See our F1 related articles too!