FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
Teams back Pryce memorial effort

By Jonathan Noble Monday, February 2nd 2009, 12:20 GMT

Fans are to have the chance to be guests of a team of their choice at a European Formula One race this year, as part of a fund-raising auction to help create a memorial to the late Tom Pryce.

Efforts are being made to help create in his home town of Ruthin in North Wales a permanent memorial to Pryce, who was killed in the 1977 South African Grand Prix.

Each team on the grid have offered to look after the winners of an auction that will take place for a pair of exclusive paddock passes at European races.

Details of the auction, which starts on Monday February 9, can be found at www.tomprycememorial.com

The auctions are being arranged on a race-by-race basis, with the list of teams that will look after winners as below:

Spain (8-10 May) McLaren Mercedes
Monaco (21-24 May) Force India
Turkey (5-7 June) Toyota
Great Britain (19-21 June) Williams
Germany (10-12 July) Renault
Hungary (24-26 July) BMW Sauber
Valencia (21-23 August) Toro Rosso
Belgium (28-30 August) Red Bull Racing
Italy (11-13 September) Ferrari

Prodrive boss David Richards, who has roots in Ruthin and is a member of the fund raising committee put together to create the memorial, said: "Tom was an extraordinarily talented racing driver who remained true to his roots in Wales where, to this day, he retains a strong following amongst his many fans.

"I am extremely proud to chair the Trust and support its plans to honour Tom with a permanent memorial in his home town of Ruthin in the Vale of Clwyd, an area he loved so much."

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/73101
what a good idea, and a good way to raise money.

I have just looked into how he died, and that was a bit bizzare :-( I had seen the Marshal incident before just never realised that that was the pryce accident.
what a good idea, and a good way to raise money.

I have just looked into how he died, and that was a bit bizzare :-( I had seen the Marshal incident before just never realised that that was the pryce accident.

yes a very gruesome sight to see
Pryce is another one of those guys whom Formula One didn't see the best of. :(
but in a macarb way it kept the drivers market open, and people retired when the saw the danger not like now. where you get multimillionaires cruising around at the back to top up the retirement fund
What a coincidence I was just thinking about Tom Pryce. I never knew there was not yet a permanent memorial. I wonder what makes them think of it now.

See our F1 related articles too!