FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By darwin dali
The entry of major car manufacturers (whenever you want to set the time for that) who run their own team (not just as an engine supplier) probably had the most profound impact.
By McLaren786
Bernie losing his stranglehold on how F1 runs. Other than that DD right the introduction of Manufacturers.
By 7UpJordan
Imola '94 when Senna and Ratzenberger died, Barrichello almost lost his life, spectators got hurt by a stray wheel when Pedro Lamy ran straight into the back of Lehto's Benetton, and a pit crew got mowed down when a wheel fell off Michele Alboreto's Minardi.

Such a bad day, especially as it was the day before my 9th birthday and then a week or so later Sheffield United got relegated in the last kick of the game against Chelsea. :(
By sonic
The entry of major car manufacturers (whenever you want to set the time for that) who run their own team (not just as an engine supplier) probably had the most profound impact.

Ferrari have been there since the year dot, so were others, Mercedes, Maserati, Bugati, Renault. Most ave fallen by the wayside and some have come back, some more than once. The motor manufacturers will pull out again soon and sell their teams on. That has always happened in F1.

I don't think there has been one change to make F1 what it is. There have been a lot of changes along the way, some big, some small but bo one of them has defined F1. F1 will continue to change in 10 years time we will look back on what we have today and be asking the same queston.
By Alisson
When senna Died the world changed...

I was not a F1 fan when senna died...
to tell you the truth I loved when he died because I was a litle child and my father use to wake up and atch F1, and I wanted to see cartons on TV... All Brazil cried and I didn't care... But now I can see How great senna was... He was the best racer ever... He is very important and the brazilian's biggest Hero
By McLaren Fan
There have been a lot of landmarks in Formula One history. I think it's difficult to chose just one. You have major advances in technology, sponsorship, and television. The Senna-Prost feud drew a lot of people to the sport and, ironically, Senna's legacy to Formula One was enjoyed by mainly by Schumacher and will be by the new generation of drivers. Although many drivers have died in the sport, none were superstars in the way Senna was and their deaths were not witnessed by such audiences. The 1994 San Marino Grand Prix is the blackest weekend in Formula One and maybe motor sport history. From thereafter, safety became most crucial: if Senna can die, any driver can die.
Last edited by McLaren Fan on 17 Dec 07, 17:10, edited 2 times in total.
By madbrad
At some point the concern became the cost for teams of runnig an outfit, so in the interest of the poorer teams many rules that cut the cost have been implemented over the last decade. Some of them have homogenized the sport. Like engine reliability and grooved tires. A lot of safety oriented technical regs have done the same. Making the cars slower seems contrary to the point of the sport, not that I'm against driver safety.

See our F1 related articles too!