FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By racechick
Well thats the conclusion Ive come to having just read his book CRASHED AND BYRNED wriitten jointly by himself and mark hughes. Its a good read I recommend it! When I say as good senna, I mean in terms of raw talent, he was sadly lacking in other areas so his talent was never fulfilled. To get the whole story you need to read the book but here is one illustration from the book of his capabilities.

THE MCLAREN TEST
He'd won most things in previous categories as Senna was to do the year after him but Senna could fund his drives, was educated , rich and moved in the right circles. Tommy had met with Ron Dennis and not impressed (cocky and ill educated). However he had won a championship funded by Marlboro which entitled him to a McLaren test. It was in the ground effect Mclaren MP4/1. The regular drivers were Nikki Lauda And John Watson. Tommy tested with 4 others Thierry Boutson, Stephan Johansson, Quippe Mansilla and Dave Scott. Tommy turnrd up with mates he'd been out with the night before and a girl hed picked up who looked like a whore. He drove on the same day as Boutson and went second. He went faster than Boutson and faster than the two regular drivers and his record for that car around Silverstone stands today. That is impressive enough but there is more. His times came up as 1m 10.1, superimpressive ! Boutsen had done 1m 10.9 which Tommy beat on his old tyres. However two of his Irish racing friends were timing him and had his last 3 laps as 1m9.9, 1m9.7 and 1m9.6 !! But even the 'official ' times beat the track record by some margin. There is more yet!! Each tester had his own set of pedals made and some years later tommy met up with the engineer who fitted the pedals. The guy asked tommy if he knew theyd detuned the car to not give hin maximim throttle. Tommy didnt. Apparantly there is something where the pedal is fiited that can do this and they did it (they said becuase tommy was cocky and they didnt want him trying to beat Boutsen and wrecking the car!) So there it is. what a wasted talent! He has four sons. The youngest is 9 and Tommy says he is the best driver he has ever seen but unlike tommy, his son listens. I reckon he could be one to watch for the future!! But what a sad story of unfulfilled talent.

Incidentally, he mentions lewis. he says he couldnt understand why everyone was so astounded at him doing what he did as a rookie. Best driver in the best car! Tommy also knew that he was the best driver at the time.He was cocky in the way the greats are when they just know they have something extra.
I do reccomend the book, its an easy read. entertaining and a little sad.
Tommy's book is being discussed on the Ferrari forum I'm on and yes it is supposed to be a very good read. A few of the members their have known Tommy since he first started and they say they recognized his brilliance behind the wheel immediately. He is still an instructor at Mid Ohio.

I must read that book so thanks for the reminder racechick:wink: .

See our F1 related articles too!