FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
Also notice the session didn't get red flagged towards the end when Bernard went into the wall whilst Senna was on his flying lap.
Seriously, we need to get rid of fuel loads during qualifying. In modern F1, if someone does well in quali everyone immediately says, light fuel load. I mean, look at Massa in Singapore, he got pole by 0.664. The first thing everyone seemed to say was not "brilliant lap" but "he must be light on fuel"

Unfortunately, thanks to Piquet, we don't know if he was light or not. But thats the point. We can't praise anyone for a great lap, without thinking about stupid fuel loads. Look at Kovalinens year, he was fueled heavier than Lewis every weekend, bar Silverstone. If there was no fuel loads involved, we could've seen a much different Kovalinen.
Thanks for that!! I must say that the cars during that period are probably my favorite. I love how low, and wide they are.

It was a 4:3 aspect ratio film stretched to 16:9. Might that account for the wider look you speak of? They werent a lot wider then(91) than in 08. Yes the allowed track and wing widths were a little greater but not that much. It was the early 80s that they looked really low and wide because the decks were so much lower.

I'm reminded how I like James Hunt commentating.

And I agree let's have qualifying on fumes. I'd also like to see Q on Q tires but I can see how they want to cut costs.
Seriously, we need to get rid of fuel loads during qualifying. In modern F1, if someone does well in quali everyone immediately says, light fuel load. I mean, look at Massa in Singapore, he got pole by 0.664. The first thing everyone seemed to say was not "brilliant lap" but "he must be light on fuel"

Unfortunately, thanks to Piquet, we don't know if he was light or not. But thats the point. We can't praise anyone for a great lap, without thinking about stupid fuel loads. Look at Kovalinens year, he was fueled heavier than Lewis every weekend, bar Silverstone. If there was no fuel loads involved, we could've seen a much different Kovalinen.

And same thing about Webber when he stuck it on the front row at Silverstone, first thought that came into my head too was "light load" instead of "that was a good lap". We need to ditch the "you must carry your fuel into the race" rule.
To be fair, the cars did look noticeably wider back then, although obviously the aspect ratio of the video exaggerates things. Increasing the width of the cars is one of the things I feel should probably have been part of the 2009 regulations.
To be fair, the cars did look noticeably wider back then, although obviously the aspect ratio of the video exaggerates things. Increasing the width of the cars is one of the things I feel should probably have been part of the 2009 regulations.

I was expecting the width to be increased too. But why not? I thought the whole idea of the new regulations was to make overtaking easier? Having wider cars makes it easier, so why did they skip this one? It would also have added another challenge, espcially going round Monaco.
By scotty
Haha, i KNEW this thread would feature Senna, and justifyably so. :thumbup:

Unfortunately my internet is pissing slow at the moment so streaming videos is more effort than it's worth... Although my favourite Senna quali moment is predictably 'those' laps at Monaco, where he beat Prost by some 1.5s and then spoke very prophetically about said laps after. I'm sure they are featured in that video though, so... :blush:

Didn't he deliberately crash the car at Magny-Cours once on the last corner just so he could get on pole (as he knew the timing beam was just past the last corner)???

I was expecting the width to be increased too. But why not? I thought the whole idea of the new regulations was to make overtaking easier? Having wider cars makes it easier, so why did they skip this one? It would also have added another challenge, espcially going round Monaco.

They made a mess of the rear-wing design as well. :rolleyes:

You just contradicted yourself: wider cars on narrow circuits (such as Monaco) or in narrow corners will make it harder to overtake as there simply isn't enough room for two cars side by side.
To be fair, it's not as though we see much overtaking at places such as Monaco anyway; so increasing the width of the cars slightly in conjunction with other measures would help for the majority of the races.

See our F1 related articles too!