FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By bud
Just bought a new Holden SS Ute 8-) to help transport my Kart around in but have abit of punch with its 6 speed 6 litre V8 power though it is thirsty :hehe:

the Yanks on here might recognise this as a Pontiac G8, this ute variant will be sold in the US next year.
PB230079.jpg

PB230072.jpg

PB230074.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By McLaren Fan
It looks very good. :thumbup:
By Stephen
I'm a jealous man this Sunday - that looks awesome! So what are the specs (0-60 etc) and given its size does it handle?
By bud
well it has the same Chev engine as the Corvette so it has abit of punch :thumbup: 0-100km.h in 5.5secs

ive only had the car since thursday i havent really tested properly but it does handle very nicely when cornering for a big car which i found surprising, and even more so being a utility the rear end doesnt feel loose either. Very smooth to drive which i like :D

Holden did spend $1 Billion in R&D for the VE Holden range and you can tell, this is a big improvement over the old model Holdens.
By darwin dali

the Yanks on here might recognise this as a Pontiac G8, this ute variant will be sold in the US next year.

Don't think so - it has the steering wheel on the wrong side :yikes::P:wink:

And I'm not so sure about the color of that beast (too close to Shrek :P ), but other than that: congrats :thumbup:
By welshie
Bud, that is feckin awesome. But then you knew I'd think that didn't ya! :thumbup:
By Rivelution
That wont be marketed as a G8, the G8 is a sport sedan. I heard a rumor that it will be marketed as a an El Camino. Make sure to break in the engine first, before you start driving like Hammy.
By darwin dali
On a production note, it has been constantly rumored for years now that GM may bring back the El Camino. During the 1995 model year, GM had a concept El Camino based on the full-size Caprice station wagon using the grille of a 1994-96 Impala SS; this concept was destined for production but terminated due to GM's profitable SUV sales. GM already has a vehicle ready in Australia in the form of the Holden Ute, save for some minor changes necessary to make it available in the U.S. This may have been backtracked within the past couple of years, however, as the Subaru Baja, the only "pickup car" recently available in the US, didn't sell well at all and was dropped after the 2006 model year. In addition, the Pontiac GTO (which Holden built and exported for Pontiac and was loosely related to the Holden Ute) didn't sell well either and was only programmed for three years ending in 2006 due to Holden upgrading the platform it was based on. A Chevrolet badged version, known as the Lumina Ute, is sold in South Africa. It has been recently rumored that the Holden Ute will be brought to the States first as a concept and then as the G8ST. Now it has been officially confirmed that Pontiac-badged Ute will be brought to USA with first cars coming to showrooms in late 2009 according to Motor Trend.
By bud

And I'm not so sure about the color of that beast (too close to Shrek :P ), but other than that: congrats :thumbup:

well yeah you wont recognise the steering wheel, just invert the photo in photoshop to make it feel cosier. :thumbup:

and this was a demonstrator model so it was a bargain price i couldnt say no to, if i were to order one i would have chosen black 8-) but i dont mind the shrek colour it is called crunch and is kinda the show colour Holden have chosen when marketing the new model VE Commodore Ute.

so Rive that also answers your question being a demonstrator it has already been run in :D

and here is the Pontiac website for the G8 Ute. http://www.pontiac.com/showFutureG8SportTruck.do

Bud, that is feckin awesome. But then you knew I'd think that didn't ya! :thumbup:

i did, i did :drink::drink::thumbup:
By AKR
It looks very good. :thumbup:

It is very good. Guranteed. But I prefer it with 2 doors coupe. The same car called a "Monaro". The coupe version of the car Bud has purchase hasn't been released yet. Ie the VE Commodore has no coupe yet. The last one was the VZ Commodore which was the previous shape/model. In the USA this was the Australian export Pontiac ummm s*** I forgot the model. Firebird I think it was????
By AKR

I agree the steering wheel is on the wrongside! :hehe: But trust me you do eventually get used to the idea of driving on the left hand side of the road, or should I say the wrong side of the road. :hehe:
By AKR
well it has the same Chev engine as the Corvette so it has abit of punch :thumbup: 0-100km.h in 5.5secs

ive only had the car since thursday i havent really tested properly but it does handle very nicely when cornering for a big car which i found surprising, and even more so being a utility the rear end doesnt feel loose either. Very smooth to drive which i like :D

Holden did spend $1 Billion in R&D for the VE Holden range and you can tell, this is a big improvement over the old model Holdens.

That car like most cars of the same or similar spec are very quick. Well in a straight line and top speed. But cornering not as good as a European BMW, Alfa or Saab. But in a straight line the Holden V8 has more punch. Even against an Alfa GT, Saab 93 Viggen (My car), Saab 93 Aero etc. The only exception are cars like the BMW M3 but the price tag on one of those is like 3 or 4 times more than the Holden. I guess for the Australian roads which are generally wide and open a car with superior straight line, reasonanble handling and good top end speed is what you want and the Holden ute is perfect for it. Just don't get caught by the police as they are not very forgiving down under. :hehe:
By bud

I agree the steering wheel is on the wrongside! :hehe: But trust me you do eventually get used to the idea of driving on the left hand side of the road, or should I say the wrong side of the road. :hehe:

actually the left hand drive/right side of the road came about in the French revolution. which then influenced main land Europe!
up until then the old horse and carriages were right hand steering, on the left hand side of the road.

so technically countries that drive like us are on the right side of the car :wink:
Last edited by bud on 01 Dec 08, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
By Gaz

actually the left hand drive/right side of the road came about in the French revolution. which then influenced main land Europe!
up until then the old horse and carriages were right hand steering on the left hand side

so technically countries that drive like us are on the right side of the car :wink:

This is true,

Nice car mate.

See our F1 related articles too!