FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By Gert
List of alternative WDC had the medals system being proposed by Bernie are applied retrospectively.

1958: Stirling Moss instead of Mike Hawthorn
1964: Jim Clark instead of John Surtees
1967: Jim Clark instead of Denny Hulme
1977: Mario Andretti instead of Niki Lauda
1979: Alan Jones instead of Jody Scheckter
1981: Alain Prost instead of Nelson Piquet
1982: Didier Pironi instead of Keke Rosberg
1983: Alain Prost instead of Nelson Piquet
1984: Alain Prost instead of Niki Lauda
1986: Nigel Mansell instead of Alain Prost
1987: Nigel Mansell instead of Nelson Piquet
1989: Ayrton Senna instead of Alain Prost
2008: Felipe Massa instead of Lewis Hamilton

So that's Moss on 1, Clark on 4, Andretti on 2 Prost on 6, Mansell on 3 & Senna on 4 with the biggest losers being Lauda & Piquet.

Thoughts?
Wow Nelson Piquet never would've been a world chmapion! :eek: Who cares though, he's a douche. Thanks for this list tho. :)

And Schumacher's 7 World Championships wouldn't look such a dominating number now that Prost would be up to 6.
Woulda, coulda.
If it were the medal system, I'm sure drivers would have adapted their racing strategy, so this list is seriously flawed - you can't simply convert points to medal system and expect it to provide any meaningful data. :rolleyes:
Woulda, coulda.
If it were the medal system, I'm sure drivers would have adapted their racing strategy, so this list is seriously flawed - you can't simply convert points to medal system and expect it to provide any meaningful data. :rolleyes:

He just put it in perspective of who would've been world championship if Bernies medals system was applied. :rolleyes: So chill out.
Woulda, coulda.

He just put it in perspective of who would've been world championship if Bernies medals system was applied. :rolleyes: So chill out.

Man I'm looking forward to DD's reply :hehe: !
By Gert
I'm very sure the drivers concerned would have changed their driving habits - the idea alone that all races count rather than just the best 6 out of 9 (or whatever) would have lead to people driving differently, for example.

This list is/was a starting point for a discussion on how dthey would have driven differently.

NB: If you look further you'll see that in the moderen era Michael Schumaher would, on occassion, have wrapped up the WDC by July. I'm not sure that's a great idea.
Woulda, coulda.

Well, that's exactly it: you can't conclude that somebody else would have won the title by simply converting those points for the reasons I outlined above.
I'm very much chilling, I'm almost freezing :)

See our F1 related articles too!