FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By scotty
What are your favourite victories from further back down the grid? Inspired by my 'Murray's Magic Moments' vid...

A pretty tough call i think, so i won't be surprised if people can't narrow it down to just one!

To kick things off, for me a serious contender has to be Mansell's drive in Hungary 1989, winning from 12th in that dodgy Ferrari, complete with a quite brilliant pass on Senna for the lead. :thumbup:

Another is Raikkonen's win at Suzuka in 2005. I'm sure most people on here will have seen that one. Amazing race.

Go!
By McLaren Fan
I'm not sure if this counts, but Senna's drive at the 1988 Japanese Grand Prix was great. He qualified on pole but stalled the car on the grid. Suzuka's pit straight slopes downwards (if you look towards the first corner), so he was able to get the car bump started. He was, however, down to 16th before he got moving again. Despite this, he went on to win the race and the 1988 World Drivers' Championship.
By 7UpJordan
What are your favourite victories from further back down the grid? Inspired by my 'Murray's Magic Moments' vid...Go!

I have that video, it's awesome! :D

John Watson's wins from the back were brilliant in both US Grand Prix in 1982 and 1983.
By EwanM
Barrichello in Germany 2000 was just awesome.

People often forget Schumacher in Spa 1995.

And yes that Murray video is the best.
By 8-ball
Kimi Raikkonen Suzuka 2003. Started 17th but put in one of the best drives of his career to win the race. Superb! :clap:
By f1maniac95
Kimi Raikkonen Suzuka 2003. Started 17th but put in one of the best drives of his career to win the race. Superb! :clap:

That was an absalutely brilliant race and 1 of the best I've ever seen.
By prozac26
I think Barrichello winning from 18th at Hockenheim is one of the best that I've seen :)

I was going to say that.

That was great race.
By bud

That was an absalutely brilliant race and 1 of the best I've ever seen.

it was actually 2005, is my favourite from the back win, though that is the freshest in my memory! sure there were some better ones from when i was a kid and before i was born!
By onelapdown
Well I know it isn't F1, and he didn't actually WIN the race, but anyone who saw the race "as live" couldn't fail to be impressed by Hamilton's performance in the GP2 race in Turkey that clinched the 2006 title. 22nd to 2nd and there was no car/engine/tyre advantage - he just blew the doors off them (not that they had doors...)
By f1maniac95
Well I know it isn't F1, and he didn't actually WIN the race, but anyone who saw the race "as live" couldn't fail to be impressed by Hamilton's performance in the GP2 race in Turkey that clinched the 2006 title. 22nd to 2nd and there was no car/engine/tyre advantage - he just blew the doors off them (not that they had doors...)

That was an excellent race as well I've got a video of that somewhere.
By Gilles 27
If it's just wins we're talking then Kimi at Suzuka is an all time great drive. He was just that much faster than the field, no dodgy weather (in the race), no weird tyre situation, just blitzed them all. The only thing you could say is that Alonso sure lost a lot of time having to pass and re-pass that Sauber(?)...
By nsaqam
Ayrton Senna's "win" at a very wet 1984 Monaco GP in the less than stellar Toleman during his first season in F1.
He charged from 13th, passed eventual WC Niki Lauda and was catching, at the rate of 4 seconds a lap, the great Alain Prost who was driving the dominant McLaren/TAG Porsche !
Senna was officially awarded 2nd place because the clerk of course Jacky Ickx, who happened to be a Porsche employee, stopped the race on lap 31 preserving the "win" for Prost despite Senna passing him on lap 32.
Just one of many sensational wet races driven by the undisputed rainmeister of F1, Ayrton Senna!
:clap::clap::clap:
By Rivelution
Does it have to be F1?

For F1, I would have to say Watson winning at LB in 83, I just watched that for the first time like 3 weeks ago. McLaren had problems with the Michelins in qualifying didnt they?

See our F1 related articles too!