FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By stiky50
Sometimes it is cool to see how far Formula 1 has come. I am still fresh to the series, 10 years of watching, compared to those that have watched the series since the 70's or earlier. One change I would like to bring to the table is when the pitlane speed limit was first instituted. I bring this up because it has changed the strategy for pitstops and lets face it one bad pitstop can make or break you now more than ever.
By Ferrarista
Sometimes it is cool to see how far Formula 1 has come. I am still fresh to the series, 10 years of watching, compared to those that have watched the series since the 70's or earlier. One change I would like to bring to the table is when the pitlane speed limit was first instituted. I bring this up because it has changed the strategy for pitstops and lets face it one bad pitstop can make or break you now more than ever.

For just a moment I tought this post was some promostunt for Obama ...'changes' ...

Well, F1 has changed a lot. Not always in a good way. Ok, looking at the safety -factor things changed in a good way. But is F1 still the purest form of motorsport ? I doubt it. To be honest, I enjoyed other racingclasses more then the Formula One lately...What I dislike about it now ? The political factor, most of the pilots are missing that flair and class racingdrivers used to have years ago. The real 'racing' ... fighting for positions on the track, not in the pits with some incredible strategies... It's all just a bit 'fake' ...(sorry, can't find the right words...my english isn't that great ...).
By stiky50
I am only 18 so I wouldn't know about how other races in the past went if it werent for Youtube. I have seen some videos from the 70's and saw some serious battles take place but it is like you said those days are getting fewer and fewer. I too hate the politics, for instance. the whole second to last lap incident in Belgium between Lewis and Kimi, I always thought that if you just gave up the position you would be fine but it seems that the FIA is a little to easy on Ferrari compared to the other teams. As for your English, well lets just say there are people here that are far worse at there own languae.
By Ferrarista
I am only 18 so I wouldn't know about how other races in the past went if it werent for Youtube. I have seen some videos from the 70's and saw some serious battles take place but it is like you said those days are getting fewer and fewer. I too hate the politics, for instance. the whole second to last lap incident in Belgium between Lewis and Kimi, I always thought that if you just gave up the position you would be fine but it seems that the FIA is a little to easy on Ferrari compared to the other teams. As for your English, well lets just say there are people here that are far worse at there own languae.

aha...thenkyuvarymuch :D
By stiky50
Hey I am doing a college comp paper on my favorite sport, three guess and the first two don't count, I was wondering if you knew the exact year that the speed limit was enforced for the pit lane. I have looked all over the net and I could only figure out that it happened in the mid 1990's. If you know it would be a great help.
By texasmr2
Hey I am doing a college comp paper on my favorite sport, three guess and the first two don't count, I was wondering if you knew the exact year that the speed limit was enforced for the pit lane. I have looked all over the net and I could only figure out that it happened in the mid 1990's. If you know it would be a great help.

I searched and searched myself but could not find the year it was implicated. Dont let yourself get frustrated with any BS or smarty pant's replie's you may get from other's ok! :wink:
By stiky50
Thanks I appreciate it. It truly is amazing what you can learn about formula 1's past though.

See our F1 related articles too!