FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By Mikep99
The Stories

By darwin dali
There's quite a lot of misinformation here - just listing things that I knew from the top of my head to be questionable:

BMW: the blue and white are the traditional Bavarian colors.

Audi: In 1909 August Horch was involved in a dispute with the supervisory board of A. Horch & Cie. Motorwagen-Werke AG. Horch left the company he had set up. Shortly after, on 16 July 1909, he established a second company, Horch Automobil-Werke GmbH, in the same city. Horch lost the legal dispute over the company name. However, a solution to the problem was found: the Latin translation of his name (the German word for “hark!”). The new company name, Audiwerke GmbH, became effective on 25 April 1910.

The name "Mitsubishi" refers to the three-diamond emblem. "Mitsubishi" is a combination of the words mitsu and hishi. Mitsu means three.
Hishi means water chestnut, and Japanese have used the word for a long time to denote a rhombus or diamond shape. Japanese often bend the "h" sound to a "b" sound when it occurs in the middle of a word. So they pronounce the combination of mitsu and hishi as mitsubishi.
Yataro Iwasaki, the founder of the old Mitsubishi organization, chose the three-diamond mark as the emblem for his company. The mark is suggestive of the three-leaf crest of the Tosa Clan, Yataro's first employer, and also of the three stacked rhombuses of the Iwasaki family crest.

Volvo: Latin for 'I roll'.
By Mikep99
There's quite a lot of misinformation here - just listing things that I knew from the top of my head to be questionable):

BMW: the blue and white are the traditional Bavarian colors.

Audi: In 1909 August Horch was involved in a dispute with the supervisory board of A. Horch & Cie. Motorwagen-Werke AG. Horch left the company he had set up. Shortly after, on 16 July 1909, he established a second company, Horch Automobil-Werke GmbH, in the same city. Horch lost the legal dispute over the company name. However, a solution to the problem was found: the Latin translation of his name (the German word for “hark!”). The new company name, Audiwerke GmbH, became effective on 25 April 1910.

The name "Mitsubishi" refers to the three-diamond emblem. "Mitsubishi" is a combination of the words mitsu and hishi. Mitsu means three.
Hishi means water chestnut, and Japanese have used the word for a long time to denote a rhombus or diamond shape. Japanese often bend the "h" sound to a "b" sound when it occurs in the middle of a word. So they pronounce the combination of mitsu and hishi as mitsubishi.
Yataro Iwasaki, the founder of the old Mitsubishi organization, chose the three-diamond mark as the emblem for his company. The mark is suggestive of the three-leaf crest of the Tosa Clan, Yataro's first employer, and also of the three stacked rhombuses of the Iwasaki family crest.

Volvo: Latin for 'I roll'.

You pass the test DD, I was testing you :thumbup::hehe:

So its true when Bud tells me all my posts are full of crap :wink:
By darwin dali
Nah, you're excused, you only posted something you found somewhere else. Though sometimes it would be advised to do some research for verification purposes :D
By Mikep99
Nah, you're excused, you only posted something you found somewhere else. Though sometimes it would be advised to do some research for verification purposes :D

OK DD I might PM you first before I post anything for your final verification.

You can be my official nit picker :hehe::wink:

By Rivelution
Wow this is very cool Mike, but I read somewhere that the BMW medallion has nothing to do with the propeller of an airplane.

Edit: I take that back.
Last edited by Rivelution on 30 Jul 08, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
By darwin dali

OK DD I might PM you first before I post anything for your final verification.

You can be my official nit picker :hehe::wink:

Sorry, that's your job (verification) - it would be too much work :yikes::D
By madbrad
A look at that Toyota logo:
When it first was put to use in the 90s I believe, I read that it contains all the letters found in the word TOYOTA, and it's true.
By McLaren Fan
I thought the Skoda logo's explanation was hilarious: suggests speed!

:rofl:
By paulabear
I thought the Skoda logo's explanation was hilarious: suggests speed!

:rofl:

:hehe:
By Mikep99
Family tree I found. Not sure if it's current ?

See our F1 related articles too!