FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By EwanM
Well it's not long now till Monaco. Just think this time next week we'll probs all be arguing over something thats happened. Will Massa Crash out? Did Heikki let another race slip away? Did Alonso strorm through? Kimi or Lewis now for the title? And what are BMW's chances of eventually winning in *insert*.

But enough of that, I thought It'd be fun to start a thread where people talk bout the classic Monaco Grand Prix's of the past. I was gonna do a poll, but there is so many that I'd like to hear everyone's point of view. This weekend is sure to spring a surprise or two.
So what are your Monaco Memories? Or what races from before your time really stand out?

Was is Moss holding off the Ferrari's in 1961? Was it Mr Monaco Graham Hill's comeback in 1965, the greatest of his 5 victories at Monaco?
Monaco at the height of its glamour with Jackie Stewart's win (particularly in his final year)?
The 1982 race?
The wash out of 1984 which ended in controversy and gave birth to a legend? :P
Senna's first Monaco win 1987, and the first for Active Suspension?
Senna's "meltdown" in 1988?
Mansell V Senna in 1992?
Who could forget Schumacher crashing out on lap 1,or that shot of Hill's Williams smoking coming out of the tunnel in 1996?
Schumacher redeeming himself in style in 1997?
1998 with Wurz v Schumacher?
2000 and DC's first win?
Schumacher's attempts at parking in 2006?
And of course the fall out which ensued last year between the Mclaren team mates?

And of course any other moments you can remember, which I have forgot, it'll be all gd!
By EwanM
Senna vs. Mansell in 1992.
:shock: speechless

absolutely brilliant
By McLaren Fan
Ayrton Senna is simply, Mr. Monaco. He would have won the 1984 race had it not been stopped and should have won the 1988 race as well, but let Prost psych him out. As great as the 1992 race was, even I, a big Senna fan, would say he was a little bit lucky to win it given what happened to Mansell, but, swing abouts and roundabouts as the old saying goes. The bad luck tends to even itself out over the season and over the years.

Talking of excellent performances at Monaco: http://www.mclaren.com/members/racing-line.php8)
By EwanM
Ayrton Senna is simply, Mr. Monaco. He would have won the 1984 race had it not been stopped and should have won the 1988 race as well, but let Prost psych him out. As great as the 1992 race was, even I, a big Senna fan, would say he was a little bit lucky to win it given what happened to Mansell, but, swing abouts and roundabouts as the old saying goes. The bad luck tends to even itself out over the season and over the years.

Talking of excellent performances at Monaco: http://www.mclaren.com/members/racing-line.php8)

Your right about swings and roundabouts. 1984 was tremendous, 1992 though, thats the curse of Williams at Monaco thought. Was it 1983 the last time they won? With Rosberg
By McLaren Fan

Your right about swings and roundabouts. 1984 was tremendous, 1992 though, thats the curse of Williams at Monaco thought. Was it 1983 the last time they won? With Rosberg

No, Montoya won it for them in 2003. Here are the full results: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Monaco_Grand_Prix Williams have only won three times at Monaco, which is pretty shocking for a constructor of their stature.
By McLaren Fan
I'm just wondering about this year's Grand Prix from a personal perspective. I'm really look forward to seeing it, partly because I think McLaren have a great chance of winning it. I will, however, be flying home for the summer from Glasgow to Belfast and my plane doesn't land until 12:15! I think I should be able to make it home on time, provided there are no delays, but I will tell my uncle, who's giving me a lift home, to step on it. :P
Last edited by McLaren Fan on 18 May 08, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
By EwanM

No, Montoya won it for them in 2003. Here are the full results: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Monaco_Grand_Prix Williams have only won three times at Monaco, which is pretty shocking for a constructor of their stature.

That's right! Damn I completly forgot bout Montoya (hasnt everybody?:P) I was watching Monaco 97 and Murray was saying they hadn't won for so many years, but yeah forgot. Terrible for Williams, I wonder why luck isn't with them for Monaco?
By Rivelution
Well unfortunately I was not alive for Senna's meltdown in 88, and I was only 2 years old in 1992. But i read that Senna pushed himself to the limit so hard in 1988 that he qualified almost 2 seconds faster than Prost, and freaked himself out he went so fast.

My Monaco memories include Trulli's first win, JPM giving Williams their first Monaco victory in 20 years, JPM getting penalised to the back of the grid and eventually finishing 5th, and of course Michael's "stall." I remember I was really happy when Eddie Irvine finished 3rd in the Jaguar back in I think 01, and when Heidfeld and Webber came in 2nd and 3rd for Williams.
By bud
Bernoldi "holding up" DC even though they were racing for position :lol:

hey Riv
Senna described in detail his mental experience in qualifying for the 1988 Monaco Grand Prix:
“ ...the last qualifying session. I was already on pole, then by half a second and then one second and I just kept going. Suddenly I was nearly two seconds faster than anybody else, including my team mate with the same car. And suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension. It was like I was in a tunnel. Not only the tunnel under the hotel but the whole circuit was a tunnel. I was just going and going, more and more and more and more. I was way over the limit but still able to find even more.
Then suddenly something just kicked me. I kind of woke up and realised that I was in a different atmosphere than you normally are. My immediate reaction was to back off, slow down. I drove slowly back to the pits and I didn't want to go out any more that day. It frightened me because I was well beyond my conscious understanding. It happens rarely but I keep these experiences very much alive inside me because it is something that is important for self-preservation.

there you go :) wikipedia aint that bad :lol:
By EwanM
I'm just wondering about this year's Grand Prix from a personal perspective. I'm really look forward to seeing it, partly because I think McLaren have a great chance of winning it. I will, however, be flying home for the summer from Glasgow to Belfast and my plane doesn't land until 12:15! I think I should be able to make it home on time, provided there are no delays, but I will tell my uncle, who's giving me a lift home, to step on it. :P

Do you study in Glasgow?
By EwanM
I'll tell you though, the most infamous thing about Monaco used to be its pit facilities. Crazy stuff, I mean the likes of Stewart Gp bk in the day had to keep their cars in a multi story car park lol.
By madbrad
You mentioned 1996 but did not mention it was seriously pocked by attrition. IIRC 3 cars finished and a 4th was classified, someone correct this, my memory is foggy here. What I do remember is the winner: Panis in the Ligier-Mugen.
In what I think was 1998, Herbert in the Stewart-Ford came second. Sir Jackie said it was more satisfying than any of his own race wins as a driver.
By McLaren Fan

Do you study in Glasgow?

Yes, I do, at Glasgow University.
By 7UpJordan
I remember Capelli "parking it quite neatly" on the Rascasse barrier in 1992 in his poor year with Ferrari. Wonder if Massa will do that this year? :P

Infact the Rascasse is a Ferrari car park if you watch this...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fEuaa_8F2-Y

See our F1 related articles too!