FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
That faitfull day maybe new new's to you millfish222 but we dont want to relive it again as many of our member's, such as I, watched in horror as it happened. I have watched that race ONCE since it took place and will never watch it again :cry:
Ayrton was so deeply disturbed by Roland's accident(not that they others weren't), you could see he was thinking of things a lot differently than the others. Combining this with Rubens' crash, He knew evil was visiting that weekend, and was not going to leave without a bigger prize. He did not want to race.
I had a feeling this thread may have been about Imola 1994, so I didn't watch the video, even when I knew for sure when I read some people's replies. I saw what happened that weekend and it always brings a tear to my eye. It was a strange feeling all weekend. Given what happened to Barichello and Ratzenberger, it was inevitable something unspeakable was going to happen in the race. Imola 1994 was the blackest weekend motorsport, not because two drivers were killed, which has happened before, but because Ayrton Senna was a superstar, in my view the greatest the sport has seen and will ever see, because the sport had reached a level that we thought things were fairly safe, and because it was so public. Hundreds of millions of people must have seen that moment on television and heard it on the radio.
I never miss a race, I taped them if I was going to be away. I only ever missed 1, because the cable was out that morning. By some freak thing in the universe, that was the race. At the dinner table several hours later I was utterly dumbstruck by the TV news breaking it to me in the least humane way possible. My stomach turned inside out. I thought I was going to die. I threw up on the table, and my parents could not figure out what could possibly be wrong with me. I was 27, not some dumb kid who probably ate the sand from the sandbox. I did watch the rerun that night, but I did not tape it because I knew I would not want to keep such a memory around.
I had a feeling this thread may have been about Imola 1994, so I didn't watch the video, even when I knew for sure when I read some people's replies. I saw what happened that weekend and it always brings a tear to my eye. It was a strange feeling all weekend. Given what happened to Barichello and Ratzenberger, it was inevitable something unspeakable was going to happen in the race. Imola 1994 was the blackest weekend motorsport, not because two drivers were killed, which has happened before, but because Ayrton Senna was a superstar, in my view the greatest the sport has seen and will ever see, because the sport had reached a level that we thought things were fairly safe, and because it was so public. Hundreds of millions of people must have seen that moment on television and heard it on the radio.

Totally, Senna really was of Superstar status. I don't think it has been repeated since the emergence of Lewis Hamilton tbh. I mean Schumi was mega in his achievement, but his (lets call them) "errors of judgement" blighted his copybook. No matter what he achieve, he could never be loved as much as Ayrton was, I don't no if the admiration people had for him will ever be seen again in F1.

Always questions as to how he died tho... Steering column? Debris on track? Power Steering, Tyre Temps... etc etc, I know the pros and cons of all these arguments, even today it's still hard to fully determine what happened.
Always questions as to how he died tho... Steering column? Debris on track? Power Steering, Tyre Temps... etc etc, I know the pros and cons of all these arguments, even today it's still hard to fully determine what happened.

There is actually a video on YouTube from William's and their opinion is that the steering column's weld sheared which the video show's. I would have to agree because if it had not sheared Senna could have steered away from a head on collision. I dont think we will ever know the real reason though.

RIP ASD! :cry:
There's also the postulation that the safety car period lowered the ride height(via tire pressure) which caused the Williams to bottom out breaking adhesion. And I thought I saw an on board video showing the front wheels responding correctly to steering input but to no avail. There's also evidence of debris possibly cutting a tire or affecting the car in some way.
I lean slightly away from the steering column theory.
Not to mention the steering column theory is the on that sticks out like a sore thumb for being too convenient for some people.

See our F1 related articles too!