FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
This guy won 5 GP's. I read about him in an article in todays sunday times entitled 'When F1 was umpalumpa drugs and rocky road'. Its a really good, interesting read. Its mainly about the classic playboys, why they were like they were and some of the tricks and antics they got up to.
I'd never heard of Alfonso de Portago. Apparantly he was a Spanish nobleman. in the 50's. he was 17th marquis de portago and count of mejorada. BUT the really interesting bit is that apart from winning 5 GP's he also rode twice in the Grand National, was France's champion amateur jockey 3times, a crack shot, an olympic-class swimmer and broke the Cresta run record at bobsleighing demonstrating his skills for the Spanish team he had set up for the 1956 winter Olympiocs. Phew! What a guy. Sadly he died along with his co-driver and 10 spectators when his Ferrari crashed near the end of the Mile Miglia.
The article observed that he lived in an era when umpalumpa was safe but motor racing relentlessly dangerous!
I recommend the article, really good.
By texasmr2
Yah I'm familiar with him he was one of the original playboy gentlemen racer's of that great era.
By darwin dali
His real name was Alfonso Cabeza de Vaca y Leighton.
He didn't win 5 GPs, he started in 5 GPs, retired from 3 of those, placed 2nd in Silverstone in 1956 and 5th in Buenos Aires in 1957 for a total of 4 points in his career as F1 driver.
By racechick
Ah. I thought i ought to have heard of him if he'd won GP's. Thanks for that. Still he sounds like a colourful character and not lacking in the sporting talents department. I guess being an aritocrat he had plenty of time on his hands to practise.
:shock: Did you just know that DD? Or did you look it up?
By darwin dali
I'm not THAT old, so I looked it up :D
By Irv the Swerve

On his favourite site..Wiki :wink::P
By texasmr2

Wiki rock's for us old fart's who have deminished our memory bank's :lol: .
By darwin dali

Actually, I checked several of my sources with Wiki being just one of them, making sure it's correct and all :D

See our F1 related articles too!