FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By texasmr2
The car is only partly to blame, the driver is the culprit. Happen's everyday be it a 500HP M5 or a 100HP Honda. I feel sorry for the family's having to deal with their loss and the passenger's family's NOT the death of the driver.
By Jabberwocky
I am sure it would happen more often if they where all driving 500HP M5's.
By texasmr2

Your wrong there mate as the percentage of 18yr old's driving 500hp M5's is outweighed by the majority of youngster's who put a LOUD exhuast on their Honda's and other compact's and think they have a race car and the 'skill's behind the wheel'. I've been modding car's for 25yr's and you would not believe the stupid poo I have seen from driver's with barely a year or two of totall driving experience.

Why do you think I got rid of my Lexus that had a big FMI along with a 2JZGTE/T78 turbo swap? I got tired of people, young highschoool kid's in their mommy's 4-door Accord, wanting to race me when they saw the FMI !
By Rob-F1
18 Year Old Kid + 500BHP BMW M5 = Death... (it also) = No surprise to be honest.
By darwin dali
Pure darwinism: if you're not fit for the road, they'll sooner or later scrape you off the road.
By Rob-F1
Thats one hell of a way to put it.
By texasmr2
Thats one hell of a way to put it.

Yah the truth is the harshest reality in life too bad it has to end like that so many time's :cry: .
Last edited by texasmr2 on 01 Feb 08, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
By Jabberwocky

Your wrong there mate as the percentage of 18yr old's driving 500hp M5's is outweighed by the majority of youngster's who put a LOUD exhuast on their Honda's and other compact's and think they have a race car and the 'skill's behind the wheel'. I've been modding car's for 25yr's and you would not believe the stupid poo I have seen from driver's with barely a year or two of totall driving experience.

Why do you think I got rid of my Lexus that had a big FMI along with a 2JZGTE/T78 turbo swap? I got tired of people, young highschoool kid's in their mommy's 4-door Accord, wanting to race me when they saw the FMI !

what is an FMI?

IMO if a car can do 30 around a corner, a young driver will attempt it at 35 and crash, bending a wing and will of learnt the lesson. However give the same young driver a car that can do the same corner at 60 will try it at 65 and crash, going through a wall and ending up coming to a halt in the living room of the house slid into on his roof, lesson learnt. so I am saying that a younger driver in a higher performance car will cause a lot more damage and in this case death.

I am not saying that if the guy in the M5 had been in a Honda Civic that the accident would not of happened, but maybe he would not of flown 200ft into a tree, maybe he would of hit the ground and slid to a halt and learnt a lesson, without paying the ultimate price.

TBH I am glad/amazed at the fact that I did not end up the same way when i was a kid, and as someone pointed out I feel sorry for the people left behind. However the passangers in the car could of told him to stop or got out before it happened so I am do not feel so fully for them.
By certom
the biggest role is played by the parents. I remember some years ago happened something like this, when a boy took his dad's Maserati Coupè to celebrate the driving licence (he got it just a few hours before) with his friends. You can imagine what happened, all the passengers died. How can a father let his new-licenced boy take his Maserati (!) not a common car.. but apart from this, there is very much ignorance about the use of safety belts and speed limits. I mean, if you want to drive fast, drive fast, bu tdo not involve innocent people (as it occours most of the times)
By Selcouth_Feline

True, but I don't think you can blame just age...I've seen some 18 years olds who are amazing behind the wheel, and then others from the older generation who are a total menace. I'm surprised they got insurance on an M5 TBH...I remember about a month after I passed my test, I bought my first 'sports' car (all c. 180bhp of it ;) ) and I couldn't drive it for a month beacuse I couldn't insure it (because of the dumb way insurance companies work, waiting a month slashed my insurance by about £22,000).
By texasmr2
what is an FMI?

An FMI is just slang for 'front mount intercooler'.

Selcouth_Feline,
Your right about that :) .
By vegas
Wow I wish I had a M5 when I was 18.
By darwin dali
Wow I wish I had a M5 when I was 18.

Well, you might have ended up not being around anymore and posting here...
By vegas
Well in a parallel universe I did get an M5 at 18 and crash into a tree, and so did you DD :)

See our F1 related articles too!