FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Microsoft & Bridgestone have been granted exclusive rights to supply ECUs and tyres from 2008 to 2010. Part of the reasoning behind this is a radical cost-saving drive by the FIA. In effect, Bridgstone's monopoly will begin at the start of the next racing season with Michelin pulling out of F1 at the end of this year.

I can understand the mentality behind the use of one brand of tyre as it will even things out however I do not believe that the use of one type of ECU will help to even the teams out at all. Currently, each manufacturer has their own ECU that has specifically been designed for their engine. It will be interesting to see what effects one software company producing an ECU for many different makes of engine will pan out. It may work out better for some teams than others, but that's just the luck of the draw. I can see engine producers not being happy about this decision.

To me, this is a little bit of madness. F1 has always been a team sport, and not purely a drivers' championship. The teams are largely innovators. A great example of this is when traction control was banned. The teams realised that tweaking the engine control software could achieve something similar to traction control - "launch-control". Giving a single company a contract for all teams ECUs will reduce this sort of innovation and thinking, and leave little incentive for the teams to develop.

With the advent of all these new rules and regulations, the R&D teams will start to play a much lesser role in the team - soon it will be a straight drivers championship and nothing more.

Although it may make the field more level, F1 should be about innovation. It should be about thinking outside the box, development, adaptation. It will be a sad day if F1 loses it's edge because of these rules.
By Marco
That has to be the best written post i've seen this month!! I'm sorry but I have to agree that this cost saving exercise is spoiling an already spoilt sport, although I don't know how F1 could actually improve in the current climate?

But Microsoft with ECUs, with their reputation for crashes! :D
By darwin dali
At least, they should have allowed for a Mac ECU :D
Anybody know whether a team is already using MS ECU?
By Selcouth_Feline
I don't know about MACs, but McLaren may profit from this deal....
One of their subsiduary companies, McLaren Electronic Systems (MEC) is actually in prtnership with MS to provide the new ECUs. They already supply all the cars in F1 with some parts anyway, so the whole thing is (supposedly) above board.

See our F1 related articles too!