FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.

which of these do u like best

Heinz-Harald Frentzen
11%
Jean Alesi
20%
Gerhard Berger
13%
Oliver Panis
13%
Jos Verstappen
9%
Ralf Schumacher
4%
Jarno Trulli
2%
David Coulthard
28%
By 8-ball
montoya should be on that list but oh well went with DC
By Flyer23
montoya should be on that list but oh well went with DC

I am a big Montoya fan and he had all the needed skills to be successful, he lacked the patience. He is without a doubt one of the best RACERS to ever drive an F1 car, but sometimes you have to drive and not race. That was his downfall. He always had to pass someone and push the car beyond it's limits. I miss him in F1 but he is doing ok in NASCAR. I wonder how the season would have went if Monty was in the car next to Alonso instead of Lewis?
By piledriver
I think Jan Lammers (begin 80's). He raced excellent in poor cars imo.
By TheRoswellite
A couple of thoughts on your excellent question.

1) As mentioned before, just drop "of the past" and your list will be OK (or drop JT & DC).

2) Above your list you have "which of these do u like best", which does not necessarily fit with the first part of your question. I may consider Panis the most underrated of those on this list, but I may not "like him the best".

3) This is a very brief version of "the past". Try a list which includes, for underrated:

Chris Amon, Dan Gurney, Carlos Reutemann, Jacky Ickx, Denis Hulme or Mark Donohue.***

***Maybe that would just be a list for really old guys (I'm guilty).

PS: I don't think Alesi and Berger were underrated, they were always thought of very highly. So, I guess, Panis for me.
By darwin dali

Chris Amon, Dan Gurney, Carlos Reutemann, Jacky Ickx, Denis Hulme or Mark Donohue.***

I'd add Clay Regazzoni.
Old thread time again! :D

Either Jean Alesi or Olivier Panis.

Both were fast but were dogged by bad luck. Alesi joined the wrong teams at the wrong time. If he'd chosen with his head and not his heart, he'd have most likely driven for Williams rather than Ferrari.

As for Panis, if he hadn't smashed both his legs in the 1997 Canadian GP I sure his career would have gone better.

Someone suggested Montoya! Are they high?! His problem was that constantly had the munchies. (I was getting worried. haven't been able to have a dig at Montoya for a while. :hehe: )
Old thread time again! :D

Either Jean Alesi or Olivier Panis.

Both were fast but were dogged by bad luck. Alesi joined the wrong teams at the wrong time. If he'd chosen with his head and not his heart, he'd have most likely driven for Williams rather than Ferrari.

As for Panis, if he hadn't smashed both his legs in the 1997 Canadian GP I sure his career would have gone better.

Someone suggested Montoya! Are they high?! His problem was that constantly had the munchies. (I was getting worried. haven't been able to have a dig at Montoya for a while. :hehe: )

Wait till racechick sees this :whip::hehe:
I voted for Jean Alesi - could've had so much more than just 1 win. Grand chap as well.

Juan Pablo Montoya wasn't underrated I don't think? Sure, he could've achieved more, but he was generally regarded as a great talent back in his days with Williams and McLaren!
Correct, he wasn't underrated, his ambition outweighed his talent! :hehe:

No, you didn't... :hehe:

:hehe:

David Coulthard and Jenson Button once referred to him as Mr Blobby when they watched footage of him running across the grid following a car issue at Indianapolis back in 2004.

See our F1 related articles too!