FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By R00DIT
With the various safety measures introduced over the years, why have enclosed wheels never been introduced? :?:
By darwin dali
Uh, because it's an open-wheel formula. You wouldn't want to transform F1 into Nastycar, would you?
By Stephen
Don't shoot me down for this, but I'm sure F1 cars have had their wheels covered at some point? Or am I imagining it? :roll:
By darwin dali
All the time my man, all the time - just before they leave the pits :D
By Stephen
All the time my man, all the time - just before they leave the pits :D

Was thinking of this thing:

And I was wrong...! :roll:
By darwin dali
Aaah, those good old times when engineers were NOT castrated by the rule book!
By Stephen
Yeah, I just wished they let them get on with it. We'd probably have flying cars by now! :P
By certom
the first formula 1 cars of mercedes had covered wheels,they seemed to be street cars more than f1 cars...
By darwin dali
in the 1930s? Was that already considered F1? Or did they just run Grand Prix races? I thought Formula One started in 1950...
By darwin dali
Yeah, I just wished they let them get on with it. We'd probably have flying cars by now! :P

Well your wish may become true starting in 2010 - at least on the engine side. Patience my man, patience, and you will be rewarded :wink:
By certom
no darwin, i'm quite sure that in the 50's fangio used those cars..for example the mercedes w196...it had bot covered and uncovered wheels!
By darwin dali
You're right. Those weird Germans! :mrgreen:
Forza azzurri!
By certom
forza azzurri!!!! tu tiferai svizzera oppure usa? spero la svizzera, ha più possibilità di passare il primo turno!
By darwin dali
No, sono un tifoso per Germania :D
By certom
ok!!!! io avrei voluto ballack al milan, ma per adesso non ne ha idea di venire!

Deutschland über alles! :D

See our F1 related articles too!