FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By Graysmith
Why do teams set up on the pit wall? They can not see any of the track and only see a car when it is in the pits. They can be affected by bad weather and the seats don't look very comfortable. Why don't they set up inside?
By Jabberwocky
think it is more of an historical thing. when they did manual timings etc
By stonemonkey
They can see activity up and down the pitlane and know exactly what the weather's like, might not be space available at some circuits in or behind the garages and maybe the bosses want to be out in front of their team instead of hidden away.

You'd be missing out on Horner's nervous leg jiggling.
By Chris_1701
think it is more of an historical thing. when they did manual timings etc

They probably still conduct manual timings these days when they lose telemetry from the car(s), so having them on the wall just makes more sense. It's also nice for them to be there when their driver(s) cross the finish line.

Chris
By sagi58
Does anyone know what the rulebook says - is it a requirement?

Are you referring to
...Horner's nervous leg jiggling.
:thumbup:
By Stephen
LOL, I somehow doubt there's a regulation for that. The day it makes money though... :hehe:
By sagi58
LOL, I somehow doubt there's a regulation for that. The day it makes money though... :hehe:

Apparently, there is an industry that relies on jiggling!! :P
By stonemonkey

Digging up roads with jackhammers? :scratchchin: really should be more women in construction.
By sagi58

Digging up roads with jackhammers? :scratchchin: really should be more women in construction.

Was thinking more along the lines of J.E.L.L.O.!!
By LewEngBridewell
I suppose having the teams on the pitwall is also useful for leaving more space inside the garage and the motorhome for more practical activities, and also they can observe the pitstops closely too.

Furthermore, the personnel who sit there receive good amounts of TV coverage :hehe:

See our F1 related articles too!