FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Have a question and don't want to sift through Wiki?
Ask away!
By CigarGuy
I've wanted to ask this in another thread but didn't want to threadjack...........
Are there a set number of teams, which, I guess, would be 11?
Or is that up to Bernie? Haas joins next year? They can run 2 cars?
There would be 12 teams then, which is ok? Do the teams always run 2 cars?
Up to how many teams do they allow?
Oh, and what's your favourite colour?
Just kidding on that last one.....like words with "u" after the "o"........
By sagi58
...Oh, and what's your favourite colour?

Are you a Canadian-wannabe? Image
By What's Burning?
There's no max that I'm aware of. It's basically an open request to teams that can show the cash and resources to compete. I think the "official" number is at 13 teams actually. There is a contract in place that states there must be at least 20 cars racing or else the little troll of a man (Bernie) has to fork over lots of dollars to somebody... not sure who but any money not is Bernie's wallet is misplaced money so it can't be good.

That's why the recent talk of 3 car teams. Nobody really wants that (well except one team) but since there are two precariously financially situated teams currently that may not show up in 2015, that would mean that there would only be 18 cars on the grid.... see the predicament?

So miraculously now we NEED teams to run three cars for the sake of the sport and all.

You really sure you want to follow this sordid sport? :hehe:
By Jabberwocky
In the past there was too many car/teams to race. So there was pre qualifying (from memory it was the fastest practice times) but that was was back in the time of garagists and customer cars.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
By CigarGuy
...Oh, and what's your favourite colour?

Are you a Canadian-wannabe? Image

<shaking head> Nope. But, when in London......
By CigarGuy
There's no max that I'm aware of. It's basically an open request to teams that can show the cash and resources to compete. I think the "official" number is at 13 teams actually. There is a contract in place that states there must be at least 20 cars racing or else the little troll of a man (Bernie) has to fork over lots of dollars to somebody... not sure who but any money not is Bernie's wallet is misplaced money so it can't be good.

That's why the recent talk of 3 car teams. Nobody really wants that (well except one team) but since there are two precariously financially situated teams currently that may not show up in 2015, that would mean that there would only be 18 cars on the grid.... see the predicament?

So miraculously now we NEED teams to run three cars for the sake of the sport and all.

Thanks, Burn.
Are some of the teams "affiliated" with other teams?
By Jabberwocky
Some teams are more aligned with other teams technically than others, they normally provide cheap items in return for them having a say in drivers.

Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso are owned by Red Bull, Toro Rosso being the junior team they used to run year old Redbull cars.

Ferrari historically moved the drives it liked into Sauber in exchange for cheap engines. That is where they plucked Massa etc from. They now seem to do that with Marussia (Jules is part of the Ferrari young driver scheme)

Force India used to use Mclarens drive train, (not sure if they still do.)
By What's Burning?

Thanks, Burn.
Are some of the teams "affiliated" with other teams?

You're new here so I'll let it go this time. But the name is either WB or Mr. What's Burning? Got that? :hehe:

And yes and yes, Force India has an "affiliation" of sorts with Mercedes where they get some technical support. Mercedes and McLaren have had a long relationship together and Mercedes used to own a chunk of McLaren. And Ferrari is developing a relationship with Haas where it's likely that Haas will be a Ferrari customer team, meaning Engine and perhaps suspension as well since you can buy that now as well and still be considered a manufacturer.

Oh, last one is Red Bull and Toro Rosso. Used to be one in the same really sharing even car design until that was disallowed. Now they're just both owned by the same entity but are separate in every other way.
By sagi58
If you tried making a flow chart of all that, you'd end up with a family tree!! :yikes:
By racechick
Burn baby burn! I quite like that Mr. what's Burning?
By racechick
Ouch! That has the wrong ring to it! :hehe:
By racechick
Oh Cigarman, what have you done!!!!!!

See our F1 related articles too!