FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By geetface9
I'm looking to buy a new motorcycle in the next month or two once I sell my current one. I have a 2002 yamaha v star 650 custom with 18" ape hangers on it and it is my first bike and I've been riding for two years this month. I've never crashed, laid it down, or even dropped it. Had a close call the other day with dropping it because I didn't quite have the kickstand all the way down so I gotta stay modest so I don't jinx it! :blush: I want to switch to a sportbike because I want something a lot faster. Don't get me wrong, I love my bike and ape hangers too. It makes all the Mexicans in my neighborhood way jealous. They wave and nod all the time when I ride by 8-)8-)8-) and I get depressed thinking about not having it any more. I've just kind of lost the excitement of riding lately though, I don't look forward to it nearly as much as I did three months ago and I think that's because I want something sportier and fast.

This is pretty much what my bike looks like except the handlebars are black and they're perpendicular with the ground so they stick straight up instead of leaning towards the seat.

I wanted to start with a sportbike initially but the insurance was going to be over $100/month USD as I was 24 at the time and had no riding experience so I picked a cruiser because the insurance was only $330 per YEAR!! So I was like BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Now that insurance on a sportbike will only cost me $10/month USD :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I'm gonna sell mine and buy either a used late 2000s kawasaki ninja, yamaha fz6r, or a cbr600rr IF the price is right. The kawasakis and yamahas I can find for under $5k at a dealer, and I'm hoping to get half of that from selling my first bike. There is a used 2006 cbr1000rr for $4995 at a dealer nearby so in a month or so once I've sold my bike I will take a good look at that if it hasn't already been sold. I'm kinda scared of the 1000cc's to be honest :rofl: and they're out of the budget I've planned anyway, other than the one I just mentioned. I'm also considering a honda cbr500 cuz I can get one brand new for $6300 USD but I haven't found any reliable sources regarding their 0-60mph (0-100kph) times so I think I'm just gonna stick with the known quantities of the ninja or fz6r where I can do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. My cruiser takes about 7 if I'm being really aggressive.

Anyway, just spittin my thoughts. Any of you guys or gals ride? Whatcha got? What do you like or not like about your current or former rides and what do you miss about bikes you've sold?? I'm gonna miss my apes big time and the 'street cred' LMFAO :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: but I want something faster more than the sorrow I feel when I think about selling my bike.
By Jabberwocky
All I know about motorbikes is what I get from watching Sons Of Anarchy.

Remember if you have a $50 head put a $50 helmet on it.

Sent using NCC-1701
By What's Burning?
I bet Arizona is a no helmet law state. PA is and I see more riders without than I do with helmets. Lots of zero dollar heads here I guess.

I always pictured you in a Vespa geet. :wink:
By Hammer278
Whoa geet, that's badass!! I'm no fan of bikes but respect! I wouldn't say I pictured you on a vespa, but I don't know...never pictured you on a bike at all. Maybe something like this:

You know...to help cut costs on your start up business. :yikes:

Btw, how much does a good Ducati cost in the USA? I particularly like the one they used in the Matrix Reloaded...you know the one Trinity rides out from the big transport lorry on the highway and goes reverse on the highway losing cops.
By LRW
Brm Brm Brm. I know nothing about two wheeled things. Sorry.

But I would say your current bike looks muuuuuuuuch cooler than the Yamaha.
By geetface9
All I know about motorbikes is what I get from watching Sons Of Anarchy.

Remember if you have a $50 head put a $50 helmet on it.

Sent using NCC-1701

My helmet was only $50 :rofl: I justify it by telling myself that no matter how cheap the helmets, they still have to meet Department of Transportation safety regulations :thumbup:

I bet Arizona is a no helmet law state. PA is and I see more riders without than I do with helmets. Lots of zero dollar heads here I guess.

I always pictured you in a Vespa geet. :wink:

:rofl: oh no vespas for me...I always say scooters are for people that want to ride motorcycles but prefer to feel the wind on their v@gin@. :rofl: Yeah helmets aren't required here but I wouldn't ride without one. It's too $#@!*& hot to ride without it. If you want to simulate riding in arizona without a helmet, go turn your oven to 400 degrees F and then when it's reached temperate, open it with your bare face right in front of it. That's how it feels to ride in arizona without a helmet :thumbup:

Whoa geet, that's badass!! I'm no fan of bikes but respect! I wouldn't say I pictured you on a vespa, but I don't know...never pictured you on a bike at all. Maybe something like this:

You know...to help cut costs on your start up business. :yikes:

Btw, how much does a good Ducati cost in the USA? I particularly like the one they used in the Matrix Reloaded...you know the one Trinity rides out from the big transport lorry on the highway and goes reverse on the highway losing cops.

Thank you, sir!

I just sold the r@pe van cuz the parents were catching on :P

I was actually just at a dealer that sold Ducatis the other day. I think the cheapest one I saw was $11k USD but most were around $15k. Idk which model was used in Matrix Reloaded :( 'twas an epic movie tho!
Brm Brm Brm. I know nothing about two wheeled things. Sorry.

But I would say your current bike looks muuuuuuuuch cooler than the Yamaha.

Thanks 8-)
By geetface9
I'm leaning towards the ninja 650. A honda cbr650f might be in the cards, but I think those are a pretty new design so idk if I wanna take the gamble on a design with no reputation or not. Plus since they're so new I may not be a ble to get a good deal on a used one since there will be so few.

thing is sick!
By geetface9
I've had my eye on the Ducati Hypermotard lately.... :drool: too bad it's $12K USD brand new!

See our F1 related articles too!