FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
By LRW
I'm considering upgrading my console from my old Xbox 360. Ive had it for 6 years now, a feel I'm due a treat.

So I'm now at the Xbox One v PS4 conundrum. I've read the reviews and can see positives and negatives for both.

what's everyone else running?
By zurich_allan
I can't answer with any certainty as I've not tried either, however I do have both a PS3 and an Xbox 360, and on that basis, for me it would be the PS4 every time.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
By myownalias
From everything I have read and heard, get a PS4; it's the same price for the base models and Sony have made a better implementation of how the hardware is used!
By 1Lemon
Good god no!

Get a gaming PC. I can help you get a machine that's almost double the power for the same price. The games are often £10 and not £40.

Want to play on a sofa on a TV you can, want to do whatever you want? You can. Mods, addons, better graphics. PC is where it's at my friends.

That and the Wii U.
By stonemonkey
Always had Sony but don't do much gaming any more, mostly use the PS3 for video services and blu ray so not in any rush to upgrade but might think about PS4 when GT7 comes along.
By geetface9
I haven't played ps4 :( but I have been borrowing my friend's xbox one for about two months now (his living situation is..'interesting' at the moment so he wants it at my house for safekeeping) and it's pretty cool. It's pretty cool how you can tell your xbox what to do and video chatting on skype and such is sweet. I'm pretty anti-social as far as games go cuz I usually just play alone when I'm online or I play the single player campaigns. It is a pretty sick entertainment system. You can run you cable/satellite tv programming through the xbox, skype as I mentioned before, you can have your movies on your xbox, as well as the usually apps like netflix, youtube, etc. It was definitely designed as more than just a game console...it's the full entertainment package. From what I've read, ps4 is more exclusively a game console, and that's not a bad thing. Anybody who's had playstations in the past knows how epic the games are for their systems, so either choice is a win in my book.

Also, Titanfall is THE MOTHER $#@!*&( $#@! !!!!!!!!!! Way epic!!!!!!!!!! It's xbox one exclusive
By myownalias
Good god no!

Get a gaming PC. I can help you get a machine that's almost double the power for the same price. The games are often £10 and not £40

I would agree with that and almost posted the same, but the question didn't refer to PC gaming, and some people are simply not interested in PC gaming. But I'd say wait until Steam OS is commercially released then build a PC of whatever spec/price you want and have all the benefits of PC gaming with the convenience of a console like experience.
By 1Lemon
True MOA but I still don't see why it isn't for everyone. If you prefer a controller fine, plug one in and go. You can move it to your living room and buying/downloading/installing games on steam and the likes is one button.
By myownalias
True MOA but I still don't see why it isn't for everyone. If you prefer a controller fine, plug one in and go. You can move it to your living room and buying/downloading/installing games on steam and the likes is one button.

I'm not disagreeing with you; I am a PC gamer myself (when I can find the time) and I also have a Core i3 laptop connected to my 60in TV to stream from the network and Internet video services; unfortunately that laptop doesn't have the graphical grunt to play the latest and greatest games so I use my main rig for gaming. But in time I might build myself a micro ATX system with a decent GFX card to connect to the TV and use SteamOS. I say it's not for everyone because not everyone likes to mess around with hardware and software installs, they just like to plug in and play, which is what consoles offer to a certain extent; but even then there are usually updates you need to install before the game can be played, so maybe it isn't so different after all?
By geetface9
I say it's not for everyone because not everyone likes to mess around with hardware and software installs, they just like to plug in and play, which is what consoles offer to a certain extent; but even then there are usually updates you need to install before the game can be played, so maybe it isn't so different after all?

The only difference is that on the computer you'd have to know what you're doing to a very small extent, whereas on the consoles even my grandma could plug a game in, the system would update it automatically, and voilà! she's in business :hehe:
By LiamCatterson
PS4 > X1. No fanboy war. Its the truth...I mean, I compare Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes to X1 and PS4 and the PS4 version is superior...No joke. The best performance output will be the PS4 and to add sweetness to the situation, it is cheaper than the Xbox One...
By LRW
Re: the pc option.

One of the main reasons I play consoles is the GTA series. The last incarnation of this (V) didn't come out on PC.

THAT is enough of a reason that they are not a consideration.
By 1Lemon
Re: the pc option.

One of the main reasons I play consoles is the GTA series. The last incarnation of this (V) didn't come out on PC.

THAT is enough of a reason that they are not a consideration.

It'll come to PC sooner or later, when it goes to the Xbox one/PS4 (GTA isn't out on these either don't forget)

Off topic a little but MOA have you tried that Steam streaming thing onto your laptop from your main PC?
By myownalias
Off topic a little but MOA have you tried that Steam streaming thing onto your laptop from your main PC?

The simple answer is no; I haven't reinstalled Steam since I had to wipe my PC because it somehow got corrupted and started BSOD'ing randomly, it's mainly a work PC that happens to play games!

Additionally I would not attempt to stream games over a wireless network, it's way too flaky for that, even on a 900Mbit dual channel wireless N network.
By What's Burning?
:yikes: You boys have time to play games?

I use my PC currently and just playing one game, but was looking for used Wii U, my son wants one as a graduation present. He said the Nintendo exclusive games that have been released are worth it.

See our F1 related articles too!