FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Have a question and don't want to sift through Wiki?
Ask away!
By sagi58
I may sound like an electronic/technological dinosaur when I say I prefer Corel/WordPerfect to Microsoft Word; but, I could care less.

I have been using WordPerfect for years because I find the tables you can create are much more user friendly than Microsoft!

I have tried and tried, walked away, only to try and try again with Microsoft; but, when it comes to using tables, the program really isn't at the same level as WordPerfect!

And, it's not only the tables!! I always seem to have problems with changing the margins if, for some reason or another, I'm in the middle of a document and I realize that I need to move them. The whole document ends up going out of whack!

My "problem" is that I can't use the computers at school to create the sorts of tables I need for my documents, so I'm "stuck" using a reallllllllly old PC that isn't even online because we're networked.

Any ideas on how I can get Microsoft to be as user-friendly with its tables as WordPerfect? :(
By Jabberwocky
Do they still make word perfect? I have not seen it in over 20 years!!!

What bit of tables do you struggle on?

Sent using NCC-1701
By sagi58
I've been using it for about that long...

Problems with the tables:

- changing the width of the columns (usually different column widths)
- changing the height of the rows (usually different row heights)
- changing the font of some text (yes, I highlight what I want changed; but, everything gets changed)
- merging some cells and not the whole row/column and without deleting the row/column
- splitting some cells without adding another row/column
By LRW
I used word for about 36% of my day-to-day work, and I will say that Tables are not the most user friendly, and need a little patience.

I have never used Word Perfect in anger.
I don't think I've ever used (or even seen) WordPerfect?!?!? :eek:
By Jabberwocky
From memory it was like using MS DOS edit. However I am sure it has come along since I last used it.

Sent using NCC-1701
By sagi58
WordPerfect is VERY user friendly, you can cut, paste and resize images from pretty well any source, at will!
You can create all sorts of wonders with the tables and you have a great selection of fonts (some that Microsoft doesn't have).

I have been able to create all sorts of Venn diagrams, charts, tables, classroom labels, title pages, etc etc etc...
Many of my colleagues will come to use (or ask me) to whip up whatever they need.
By sagi58
From memory it was like using MS DOS edit...

:rofl: NOT at all!!
... I am sure it has come along since I last used it.

And that is a part technology that I disagree with...
why is it necessary to throw the baby out with the bath water, when something "new and improved" comes along!! :banghead:
By sagi58
I use Carol, she's been my secretary for years.

:rofl: As she probably doesn't come with instructions, is she easy to install?
By sagi58
WordPerfect is VERY user friendly.....

RC would love it then....

I know I do!! Won't part with it! I even grabbed an installation disc when they were being "disposed of"!! :clap:
By LRW

I know I do!! Won't part with it! I even grabbed an installation disc when they were being "disposed of"!! :clap:

You mean you stole it? :yikes:
By Ichabod

Is "disposed of" slang for" donate to the sick kids" ? :hehe:
By LRW

Is "disposed of" slang for" donate to the sick kids" ? :hehe:

:rofl:

We are learning a lot about Sagi's moral compass today...

I suppose at least she is consistent - steals from sick kids, steals from multinational companies. Doesnt care who you are - if she wants it, she takes it.

;)

(and ok, I know it was RC stealing from the sick kids - but its guilt by association. :D )

See our F1 related articles too!