FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Have a question and don't want to sift through Wiki?
Ask away!
I've been dying to ask... I have been spending time walking our new dog. The old dog is still with us, but I just let him out and he did his bit of business without any intervention from me. This dog, has to be walked and so you know, the mind wanders as you're out there waiting.

I've noticed that she goes back and fourth and back and fourth a handful of times until she finds just the right spot to do her business. Now I've heard that dogs tend to line themselves along the North/South axis when pooping, but in my careful observation over the last year or so, I really haven't experienced anything with enough consistency to warrant that being true.

But why the back and fourth? Do only some dogs do it?
Keep in mind a dog's perception of its surroundings is heavily influenced by its excellent sense of smell. A dog's macrosmatic worldview is pretty much inaccessible for us mere microsmatic creatures...
My guess is it's a protection instinct. I know when they sleep, they walk in a circular motion to "flatten" their sleep area and scare away possible threats to them (e.g. snakes) while they are vulnerable (i.e. at sleep). Perhaps they are looking to scare off possible threats when they are in a vulnerable position p00ping? The do something similar when they procreate - end up back-to-back in a defensive position. Harder to fight and bite while in the tow-truck position :hehe:
We've always had dogs (most German Shepherds and American Beagles), so they were "outdoor" dogs!
Even so, they always seemed to "look" for the right spot to do their business, apparently this is their
way of marking their territory, which is instinctual. When they were being walked, they would stop
and do their business over the business of other dogs, to mark the territory as their own.
Everything in a dog's life is about scent, but I'm liking the scaring off (clearing out) a space idea. There's not much sniffing going around during that time, it seems to me more like a perimeter check. Clearly too, the never poop on top of each other, they're all spaced out just enough. Not that I get to see it, since our property is largely covered with ivy so it's all nice and out of sight where they go. But during the winter when it's snow covered, you get a sense of the "method to the madness" so to speak.

Fascinating.
Maybe they're making sure they don't squat over a stinging nettle, or a bramble or a thistle. They don't seem to do if on pavements so much do they? Just on grass.
Maybe they're making sure they don't squat over a stinging nettle, or a bramble or a thistle. They don't seem to do if on pavements so much do they? Just on grass.

My dogs have NEVER gone on pavement, they avoid it like the plague. In order of preference, it's ivy, grass, dirt and it stops there.
City dogs don't have the option, but they don't seem to do the round and round thing. Maybe they're getting it over with quickly incase a double decker bus comes along.
No wonder Tiny Tim was so sad, there are no parks in London?

There are parks, but not all city dwellers are near enough to one to take dogs there before work, for a quick poop.

See our F1 related articles too!