FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
By RyRy
I normally re-install Windows every 6~ months but because I had loads of stuff that was too difficult to backup to transfer to a new OS I decided to wait until I had finished with certain things.

I re-installed Windows 7 about two weeks ago, sorted everything fully out last week and typical that within the last 3 days Windows has become a mess in regards to Windows Search & My Documents, Music...etc I've had a look on the internet for a fix, none of the fixes worked so it looks like I have to re-install my OS again... BUT now my computer is playing up with blue screen of deaths, usb devices all suddenly freezing up even when I'm not actually in Windows (ie a setup disk) it looks like either the memory or the motherboard is to blame, I checked the memory with 24 hours of Memtest86+ and it all appears fine so it's more than likely the motherboard.

I've just burnt a new Windows 7 disk and also opened up my case again took everything out, cleaned off the dust, took out all the cables, took the heatsink off (I have a huge heatsink) cleaned of the thermal paste that had gone weird in texture, put some new thermal paste on, put it all back together, tidied the cables up (they were messy before) put another fan inside (a spare) just because it wasn't doing anything lol

Hopefully when I try and install this OS again it doesn't play up AGAIN and that it's not a motherboard issue :( I only two weeks ago had to replace a motherboard and a PSU after two other systems died :( I've got laptops, hardware and cables EVERYWHERE in my room >_< it looks like bombs have gone off.

So yeah, idk why I posted this just thought I'd ramble on :P
My problem with PC's well almost any electronic item is the little bugs that are easy to fix but you know that you would rather live with them just incase it fooks up totally when you try and fix it.

I assume from you geekery that you know the best way to fault find problems like you have got so will not offer any advice to teach you to suck eggs.
By 1Lemon
What the hell do you do to your PC that you need to re-install the OS every 6 months?!?
I had a problem with my AMD FX8350 system, it kept on bluescreening randomly; after checking hard disks, memory, unplugging and reseating all cables, it turned out that my BIOS was automatically setting my RAM for 1600Mhz instead of 1866Mhz, I manually set the RAM speed and it hasn't bluescreened since. It drove me crazy for weeks on end! I don't know if this is your issue, but I'd thought I'd put it out there!
By spankyham
It's a feature of windoze - it frequently presents you with the opportunity to reboot or rebuild

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
By RyRy
My problem with PC's well almost any electronic item is the little bugs that are easy to fix but you know that you would rather live with them just incase it fooks up totally when you try and fix it.

I assume from you geekery that you know the best way to fault find problems like you have got so will not offer any advice to teach you to suck eggs.

Yeah lots of people do that but I'm a tinkerer and an comfortable doing stuff what could end up with completely broken hardware.

What the hell do you do to your PC that you need to re-install the OS every 6 months?!?

System gets pretty bogged down with the amount of stuff it installs and goes though aswell as security purposes just in ase something is undetectable.

he can not tell you for security reasons lol

Haha nah

I had a problem with my AMD FX8350 system, it kept on bluescreening randomly; after checking hard disks, memory, unplugging and reseating all cables, it turned out that my BIOS was automatically setting my RAM for 1600Mhz instead of 1866Mhz, I manually set the RAM speed and it hasn't bluescreened since. It drove me crazy for weeks on end! I don't know if this is your issue, but I'd thought I'd put it out there!

Unfortunately it's not that I've been though the bios as everything.

It's a feature of windoze - it frequently presents you with the opportunity to reboot or rebuild

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
haha yup, luckily I have other computers I can use which helps.

Sent from my Nexus 4
I used to rebuild often but now I'm too lazy. I would agree with you about a potential HW problem but I wouldn't look there first. Try to actually LOOK at what the blue screen indicate. The reality is that 9 times out of 10 you're going to be looking at a wonky or corrupt driver or something else like a software issue with an update to something. The memory address range reported in the dump should ID what the culprit is.

You can get the address ranges of most of the components from device manager and then sleuth from there. I don't mind rebuilding but would only do it when I get new hardware of some type, just too much work otherwise.
By racechick
I get problems with pc's all the time!! My new chrome book is weird!! I'm gonna whisper the next bit because I understand why the thing I'm going to mention is annoying get apples cos they work
By 1Lemon
Just try Ubuntu then you won't have to uninstall every 6 months!

get apples cos they work

I work with a mac day to day at work can confirm they do not work. You have to do some stupid work arounds to do stuff because Apple don't want you too....
By spankyham
Just try Ubuntu then you won't have to uninstall every 6 months!

get apples cos they work

I work with a mac day to day at work can confirm they do not work. You have to do some stupid work arounds to do stuff because Apple don't want you too....

Correct, hand this man a cigar.

Windoze - only if your a glutton for punishment
Apple - If you want something that works but does bugger all in reality, and only the bugger all Apple decide you want to do
Linux - works and you can do what you want reliably and reliably - but there's bugger equipment to run it on
PDP-11 - rock solid, no graphics problems cause there are no graphics, can fit in a small house and you can irradiate your food in front of the screen as a bonus
By sagi58
Did you try to restore your system to an earlier time/backup? Sure, it's simplistic;
but, it works for me, after I've installed something I've changed my mind about! :D

See our F1 related articles too!