FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By What's Burning?
This looks interesting!
[youtube]5mXrJrXfakQ[/youtube]
'32 Hours 7 Minutes' is a documentary film on the original cross-country races known as the 'Cannonball', and the fastest time from NY to CA in a car, set in 1983. Over 2 decade later, when suspicions arise about the legitimacy that record, Director Cory Welles climbs into the backseat of Alex Roy's infamous BMW M5 and races across the country to try and break 32:07, to prove it's real. Here's the first few minutes of the film.
By stonemonkey
2900 miles in 32 hours? Average of 90mph? :yikes::cop:

And how many speed cameras?
By darwin dali

They don't have that here - the cop has to actually hold a radar gun and catch you in the act.
I hate it... when a cop taps my car's rear window with his flashlight, that's how they tend to catch me in the act. :blush:

I think 2/3 of the trip would be from NYC to the Missisipi. Once you get out west the speed limits are higher and the cops are fewer. Back in the day I made it from NYC to Miami in under 20 hours.
By stonemonkey

They don't have that here - the cop has to actually hold a radar gun and catch you in the act.

Difficult with a donut and a coffee.

No average speed cams either, they are evil?
By darwin dali

Difficult with a donut and a coffee.

No average speed cams either, they are evil?

They've started to install red light cameras here and there, but other than that - it's something to do with the 6th amendment:
"In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense."

If there's no cop to witness your transgression, they're walking on thin ice.
By acosmichippo

Here in Virginia, there are planes that monitor the highways between cities. Not sure how common that is elsewhere...
By darwin dali

Here in Virginia, there are planes that monitor the highways between cities. Not sure how common that is elsewhere...

Yeah, pretty common, especially in those forsaken plains states with huge areas of nothingness.
By 1Lemon

You've been lied to!

http://jalopnik.com/5886845/heres-where-you-can-ignore-speed-limited-enforced-by-aircraft-signs
By acosmichippo
Good to know. I pretty much ignore them anyway. Or if I'm being particularly cautious, I'll just coast between the white detection lines.
By Jabberwocky
I know that there has been a law change recently in the USA about road offences. I was reading about it before little one was born. The company I work for are trying to get the FCC nod before we get the go ahead for projects.

The projects include Speeding, tailgating, red light jumping, jay walking, erratic lane changing, lane hogging, undertaking, plus many others (not all are applicable to the American Market)

Sent from Turing Colossus using Tapatalk 2
The projects include Speeding, red light jumping, (not all are applicable to the American Market)

Tell your company to just work these for the American market as those are the only ones the cops will ever ding you for. :rolleyes:
By LRW
Finally watched it.

Man those guys are f*ckin crazy.

Good doc. though, and worth a watch if you have 1h40mins spare.

I wont spoil it and let you know if they broke it though.

See our F1 related articles too!