FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
Hi everyone,
Firstly I’d just like to say hello as I am a newbie on here. I’m going to my first GP at Silverstone this year with my Brother(I can’t wait!!) and have been getting loads of useful tips and info of here as to what to expect and what to do etc. The question I have is about the park and ride. We have booked weekend general admission tickets and will be using the park and ride from Sixfields Stadium. Does anybody know if the buses take you straight into the venue (as we would already have had to show our passes to get onto the bus), or do they just drop you off at the main entrance and we will have to queue up to get in there. I’m thinking more of the Sunday really, do I need to be on that first bus leaving at 5.30am for any chance of getting a good spot, so we would have to be looking at getting to the park and ride at about 5am to join the queue for the first bus? Also are there any tips or advice for me from anybody that have used the park and ride before. :)
I've never got the park and ride, so I cant really answer that bit with any real authority. However, when I have camped there, I am sure I have seen the coaches dropping off people outside the gates, and people still needing to show their tickets to get into the course.

As for timings; the first year we went, when we just had GA tickets, we queued for gates open (6am {or was it 5am?!?}), to enable us to get a good spot, and it definitely fills us quick in the decent spots.

My advice would be, as an F1 fan, get up and to site as early as possible. Even if you get there too early, at least you've given yourself the best chance, and will have a brilliant day - all for just losing a few hours sleep that you can catch up with anytime.

edit: Just checked - gates open 6am.
When I went in 2011, we stayed at a nearby hotel the night before the race. When we were told we'd have to arise at 05:00am I had a fit! Couldn't believe how EARLY one needs to get there! :eek:
Fickle British fans, eh? :hehe:

ESPNF1:
Silverstone admits its ticket sales for the British Grand Prix have been affected by a lack of success for Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button so far this season.

Neither driver has won a race this season, and while Hamilton has enjoyed a relatively strong start with his new team Mercedes, Button has struggled in an uncompetitive McLaren up to this point. Speaking at a media event at Silverstone, British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC) president Derek Warwick said ticket sales would be helped by an upturn in fortunes for the two British world champions.

"If Lewis or Jenson can start winning from Barcelona next weekend, and we all know the way McLaren can turn the car around, that would make a massive difference to us," Warwick said. "That's a big hope for us for sure."

Silverstone managing director Richard Phillips added that Red Bull dominance would also not help ticket sales.

"Obviously British drivers have a massive effect so if you can get both or one of them consistently on the podium then that does help enormously," Phillips said. "But people also like to see the mix. Vettel is doing extremely well and so are Red Bull. Personally I think he is a great driver and I love Red Bull but it would be nice if they didn't win all the time!

"Ticket sales are not as good as they were last year. They are not drastic, but they are down a bit, and we could do with some help."
Fickle British fans, eh? :hehe:

ESPNF1:
Silverstone admits .......

:bs: Its got nothing to do with a lack of British wins, and all to do with the weather from last year, and their ultimate inability to organise or cope with extreme situations, which resulted in them telling everyone to keep away on qualifying.
I very much doubt that.

Well in a way it is. The ticket price is one of the highest of the season. Thats because of the prices Bernie charges to hold the event. I know there are other factors, but there is a link.
I very much doubt that.

Well in a way it is. The ticket price is one of the highest of the season. Thats because of the prices Bernie charges to hold the event. I know there are other factors, but there is a link.

All the proof necessary is in the ticket prices charged in the F1.com site itself. India, Korea are bargains by comparison.
I very much doubt that.

If the teams were not so greedy the prices wouldn't be so high. All MrE does is generate a return for F1's investors. The poor quality of the racing for most of the season so far is likely a large factor but the British GP is usually pretty well attended.
Bernie is a jumped up east end barrow boy, Interested in da money!! But he's old now so hopefully it wont be too much longer to endure....but PLEASE lets hope his successor is not a daughter :thud:

See our F1 related articles too!