FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By What's Burning?
Machinist's Workshop Mag recently published some information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts. They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oils Average torque to loosen

No Oil used ................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ...................... ... 238 pounds

PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds

Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds

ATF.................................53 pounds

Power Steering Fluid.........51 pounds
By racechick
Have you alerted Mclaren to this ?
By racechick
It was just a joke Bud lighten up. I doubt McLaren use rusty nuts And bolts. Rust would not be allowed any where near the MTC......and thats a compliment to them before you roll your eye.
By stonemonkey
Difficult test to set up. Did they go into more detail of how they carried out the test and how many samples were used for the results?
By What's Burning?
Difficult test to set up. Did they go into more detail of how they carried out the test and how many samples were used for the results?

I have found myself praying to the gods for assistance after two days of wrestling with a seized bolt. Statistical samples at that point would be meaningless to me. I'd try salad dressing if someone suggested it.
By Jabberwocky
I always got annoyed with Haynes manuals and the "Just remove the 4 bolts" yes, it is a "JUST" when the car is brand new. 20 years later that is 8 hours work!

DId you get the bolt off?

Who wants to see my Rusty Nuts?
By darwin dali

I have found myself praying to the gods for assistance after two days of wrestling with a seized bolt. Statistical samples at that point would be meaningless to me. I'd try salad dressing if someone suggested it.

Just piss on it and be done :P

See our F1 related articles too!