FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By What's Burning?
I have this t-shirt. However I feel as if I'm fighting a losing battle.

You could always point to an advantage for choosing a manual versus an automatic transmission but that's no longer the case. Dual clutch paddle shifters are the new norm in performance cars, and rightfully so, they are lighting quick and can benefit from the technology that's made itself into other parts of the vehicles. Launch control, performance profiles etc.

I learned to drive in a 1972 Chevy Caprice Classic that was my father's car, a boat with an automatic transmission. I had 11 people in it once. But the very first car I bought with my own money was a 1980 VW Scirocco, 5 speed standard H and I didn't know how to drive it when I bought it. The overwhelming majority of the cars I've owned since then have had a manual transmission but that option is gone for the main stream market, and it's even gone for most of the performance market. Ferrari gave up on it, and now with the 991, even Porsche has made it nearly impossible to order a manual transmission. The new GT3 will only come with a PDK, so is it time to end this crusade? I'd like to hear people's thoughts.

Below are some "fun" stats I found about people that choose to save the stick.

• 69% more likely to have a graduate degree.
• 39% more likely to be married or in a long-term relationship.
• 19% more likely to be extroverts.
• 75% have changed a flat tire.
• 14% more likely to be optimists.
• 27% more likely to consider themselves close to nature.
• 22% more likely to hike, bike, or run at the park.
• They watch the Newshour with Jim Lehrer.
• They watch Face the Nation.
• They watch History Channel.
• They like George Carlin
• They read 1984.
• They read National Geographic.
• They like Trivial Pursuit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By acosmichippo
Well I'm barely any of those things, but I do agree it's a shame. I've only been driving a manual for a couple months now, and was surprised at how much it connects you with what the car is doing. Blipping throttle to match RPM's while downshifting is an art that will take a long time to get right (and maybe an earlier clutch replacement), but I'm looking forward to it.

But at the same time, if the technology can perform better than a manual, then that's where the industry should go. No sense in holding on to something just for nostalgia or preference.
By Hammer278

• They read 1984.

Probably because most of these stats concern the old timers. Bolded the ones where I think most of the stats are made up by the previous generations....Marriages lasted longer before, more people interested in an education...changing a flat tyre is quite tough when more and more cars are on RFT and so on. Nature? More buildings nowadays, so naturists are now gymnists? History Channel, National Geo?? Once you've tasted the power of the net, cancel your cable and subscriptions, much more prudent. As for the preferences in likes and dislikes, come on man.

Bet you're glad Im back WB. :D
By stonemonkey
In the automatics with the flappy paddles, could they not put in an electronic H style shifter?
By What's Burning?

• They read 1984.

Probably because most of these stats concern the old timers. Bolded the ones where I think most of the stats are made up by the previous generations....Marriages lasted longer before, more people interested in an education...changing a flat tyre is quite tough when more and more cars are on RFT and so on. Nature? More buildings nowadays, so naturists are now gymnists? History Channel, National Geo?? Once you've tasted the power of the net, cancel your cable and subscriptions, much more prudent. As for the preferences in likes and dislikes, come on man.

Bet you're glad Im back WB. :D

Ecstatic, nice race Sunday huh? I can't wait till next year. Anyway, about the stick, I've heard stories of young whippersnappers trying to steal a car and failing because it was a manual transmission and they couldn't drive it away.
By stonemonkey
....... Anyway, about the stick, I've heard stories of young whippersnappers trying to steal a car and failing because it was a manual transmission and they couldn't drive it away.

lol
What's with the numbers, where's D ?

Mind you, the one and only time I drove an automatic was parking my boss' car. I couldn't find how to release the parking brake. I drove it off and parked it anyway.
By Jabberwocky
Automatics are still the minority in the UK. I have seen some people being given Auto's as rentals and still try to change gear. Putting it in N when coming up to junctions is always a nice sound as they go via R.
By darwin dali
What's good for Formula One drivers is good for me - don't need no damn shorty shifty sticky (I prefer long sticks anyway :twisted: ).
Now on a motorcycle, that's a whole new ball game - don't you dare taking away my shifty pedal :nono:
By What's Burning?
What's good for Formula One drivers is good for me - don't need no damn shorty shifty sticky (I prefer long sticks anyway :twisted: ).
Now on a motorcycle, that's a whole new ball game - don't you dare taking away my shifty pedal :nono:

I think it's just your sadistic side of kicking things when they're down. :wink:
By scotty
Sticks must stay until the paddle shifting is better, in lower end cars anyway. In something like a M5, good, it works great, but i also drove a Toyota Auris with paddle shift. Changes were horrendously slow, and not particularly smooth.

I do miss seeing racing drivers using h-gates though. Poetry in motion! :thumbup:
By darwin dali

I think it's just your sadistic side of kicking things when they're down. :wink:

:yes::thumbup:
By stonemonkey
....don't need no damn shorty shifty sticky (I prefer long sticks anyway :twisted: ).

Well, this should be right up your alley.

See our F1 related articles too!