FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
Hi All,

I am a keen model maker and thought I'd share my latest project with you all. Here are a few images, it's 1/10th car, made from modelboard, fibreglass and filler! The blue and white car is an older car I made before the front and rear wing regs changed.

Let me know your thought and suggestions.

Enjoy

Fantastic workmanship! Do you have a place where you can get them out and run? From the looks of them I'd say they're electric but are they gas or would it be much too challenging to make a gas powered one? I'm liking the new one much better, although I like the livery of the completed one.

Is the suspension functional at all or just whatever natural flex there is to the fiberglass? Upon closer inspection, really superb workmanship, especially in the front struts to hide the steering linkages.
Thanks All,

Ye I run the cars on a supermarket carpark, plenty of space and reduced chance of hitting something!

The previous car I made (blue and white) run on 6 individual 1.2v cells wired together. I had to use individual cells rather than a 'stick pack' so that I could fit them in the car and keep the sidepods narrow and 'coke bottle' area. This latest car though will run on a Lipo Battery, reducing weight and it's also a lot smaller.

I'll be posting updates on here so that everyone can view the progress and offer me advice on the build!
They're AMAZING!!!
Hi All,

Glad you all like the car, thanks!

Here's an update.

This is a front wing I've designed on CAD, I'm thinking of getting it rapid-prototyped. This will save me time, as it's quite a detailed and intricate part, and also it's likely to be the first part that gets damaged!

Here is a livery I'm thinking of having on the car. Yes it's just a tweaked HRT livery from last year adapted to include the 'FUS F1' light blue. I haven't completely decided on this yet, maybe a retro livery? As for sponsors.... would anyone like to sponsor the car or even buy it onced finished? pm if interested.

As for the model I've machined a set of rear wheel uprights as opposed to using a set of Tamiya items. As you can see they have the 'drum' style appearance of F1.

Hope you continue following the progress, next is to get the gear and steering in.
Great livery. I like everything except the FUS logo on the tub, it's not the logo that's the problem, it's that the square just seems out of place. Keep the updates coming. Might as well make yourself a handful of wings because I'm sure you're going to go through a few.

Would it be easier since they're going to break to simply make the individual winglet sections out of flat stock and them glue them together like a 3D jigsaw puzzle?
Video footage will be available once the car is ready!

I agree the red fus logo is a bit out of place, does that make you notice it though :wink:

Continuing with the updates then, here's another image of the wheel uprights with the wheel attached. All it needs is brake ducts and winglets, probably not as many as the Red Bulls though.

Now that I'm not using Tamiya uprights I don't need a space near the gearbox to anchor the toe in/out arm. Which has made room to open up the space in the diffuser.

The next update will probably include the steering and motor gearbox fitments.

Keep watching!
So I've installed the steering into the car, I wanted to keep the cut out for the steering arm as small as possible. I've tried hiding it under the upright arm. Just to make the car look more realistic. The servo is fixed at an angle so that the motor can be placed as far forward as possible, giving the car a better weight distribution.

Another image of all the internal electronics fitted in the car, it's all very tight! Hopefully it won't overheat!

How many hours? I really don't know, I worked on it off and on for a about 6 months, interested in buying/sponsoring?
How many hours? I really don't know, I worked on it off and on for a about 6 months, interested in buying/sponsoring?

pre-kids I would of made you an offer on the spot lol. I used to do a lot of RC driving as a kid, did OK as well, not quite national standard.

See our F1 related articles too!