FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Evaneoun
Just heard on the radio that Mclaren are under investigation by the FIA following their instruction to Hamilton to stop racing Alonso in Monaco...
By Stephen
Ouch, that could hurt...I wonder what the FIA have planned for McLaren.

I can see it from both sides, Dennis obviously wants to control the race and protect his advantage, but the FIA, Bernie-vision and the fans want to see action. What worries me more than anything was the lack of overtaking in Monaco - without the Ferrari's in the picture, the race was only made more boring by the tactics of McLaren.
By Irv the Swerve
You saw how dissapointed Lewis was on the podium, he knew himself that he could have been standing at the top of the podium. RD didn't want Lewis to come first because their golden boy would take a huff. DSQ both of them! :wink:
By 7UpJordan
Tsk, what you got to say now Ron?
By deMuRe
Not the first time this season McLaren have used team orders...
By bud
what a f***ing joke its been the McLaren philosophy for years, race to the last pit stop!

hey DeMure name the other time? or if they had team orders why did Hamilton not pull over for Fernando last race? stop talking out of your anus PLEASE

and how can a Ferrari fan like you caolan even say DSQ them honestly some people on this site are f***ing idiots its hilarious coming on here
By Marco
hey DeMure name the other time? or if they had team orders why did Hamilton not pull over for Fernando last race? stop talking out of your anus PLEASE

Oh come on mate, Ron did nothing but boast after every victory, proclaiming his team had controlled the race from start to finish (as Stephen alluded to in his article). It's an investigation so we'll see how it goes, Ferrari have been in the dock, now McLaren are - i'm sure it'll come to nothing.

Take a chill pill. :roll:
By Irv the Swerve
DSQ both of them! :wink:

Taking the piss here, but you should calm down a bit as well. :P

Here is JA view on what happened:

"Then the bit I don’t understand – Alonso pitted on lap 51 and Lewis a lap later.

He was 10 seconds behind at this point, but Alonso had a slow out lap in traffic and when Lewis rejoined he was four seconds behind. Why did McLaren bring his second stop forward?

To avoid any risk of losing the stop and second place if a safety car was deployed, according to the team.

But on paper it looks as though Lewis might have had a chance to pass Alonso if he had stayed out, because of that very slow out lap of Alonso’s, four seconds off the pace.

But that would have been pretty unfair on Alonso who had done enough to win it by then.

Then after the race Ron Dennis said to ITV that he had told his drivers to conserve their cars from as early as lap 10!

And he said that they could have gone much faster.

He confirmed this to me after the race, but it rather contradicts what Hamilton was saying, that he hit the barriers several times, so hard was he pushing.

I don’t know why Ron wants this message to go out.
By welshie
I do think LH could have gone faster for quite alot of the race. Monaco should have been a race where he was let completely off the leash. Watching him slide the car around the corners in qualifying was by far the most exciting part of the whole weekend!
By johnbull
How Max can even contemplate such action just amazes me.

What's wrong with asking your drivers not to self anihilate.

Mc Laren aren't bringing F1 to disrepute, but Ferrari certainly are by ignoring Euro antismoking advertising rules.

But Max won't do anything about that. One rule for the red cars and another for the rest.
By darwin dali
Ron Dennis admitted that the McLaren team decided in advance that Fernando Alonso would win the Monaco Grand Prix ahead of team-mate Lewis Hamilton. "However there is some disappointment because of the different strategies we needed to follow to cope with a potential deployment of the Safety Car which has happened four times in the last five years. Consequently you virtually have to decide in advance which one of the team's two drivers will claim the victory."

Interestingly, they changed the strategy for LH during the race from a one-stopper (which most likely would have given him the victory considering how fast he was with more fuel than FA) to two stops.
Last edited by darwin dali on 28 May 07, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
By darwin dali
How Max can even contemplate such action just amazes me.

but Ferrari certainly are by ignoring Euro antismoking advertising rules.

But Max won't do anything about that. One rule for the red cars and another for the rest.

Uh, no. The rules apply to everybody. Monaco along with Shanghai and a third circuit (plus potentially Japan) don't have the cigarette ad ban and Ferrari took advantage of it. While all other teams severed their ties with tobacco companies (because it made no financial sense for most), Marlboro continues to sponsor Ferrari to the tune of $200m a year - most of the time in disguise w/o the name showing, just the colors.
By johnbull
Yes, that's how it is in today's F1. Load one driver up with less fuel to qualify slower so the other one wins.

We see it every race at Ferrari. Massa always qualifies lighter, at poor Kimi's expense. Isn't that team tactics? Nobody complains about that. So what's so different about Mc Laren doing it, apart from the fact that their cars aren't red?

They need to change the daft rules and allow all drivers to qualify with a light fuel load, for a start.
By darwin dali
A difference of a couple laps in fuel is far different from a difference between one or two pitstops that gets changed midway by RD to ensure his pouting No. 1 driver gets a bone(r) :roll:

See our F1 related articles too!