FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By R00DIT
I remember watching Alesi break down in a Ferrari (think he was in second position) on a long straight. Can anyone tell me the year, or perhaps the track? Reason for this isnt as odd as it sounds, just that this was first race i ever saw.
By cityboy
He drove with them between 91 and 96, so five years. Can you be more specific, there were a lot of long straights in those good old days!!!
By sonic
And a lot of breakdowns too!
By 7UpJordan
I remember watching Alesi break down in a Ferrari (think he was in second position) on a long straight. Can anyone tell me the year, or perhaps the track? Reason for this isnt as odd as it sounds, just that this was first race i ever saw.

Think you could be thinking of Monaco 1992 when he came to a stop on the escape road just after the tunnel after his car overheated in a tangle with Schumacher? (and Murray saying "Patrese has held his place, err sorry Alesi has held his place, but that means that Riccardo Patrese will have been able to pull away!")
By madbrad
I would guess it was in 93. I say that because in 93 the Ferraris spent a surprising amount of time at the pointy end of the train, only to suffer some form of breakage. On one occasion one of them lost its airbox camera and it hit the other Ferrari which was next behind, causing the failure of that car. (Berger and Alesi, can't remember which was which)

Nice Walkerism 7up!
By 7UpJordan
The 1993 Ferraris looked more like Dallaras. :D
By madbrad
true.

the best looking Ferraris had the slightly high nose and an anhedral wing, a little bit like the Jordan in your sig.
By 7UpJordan
true.

the best looking Ferraris had the slightly high nose and an anhedral wing, a little bit like the Jordan in your sig.

After the successes of Adrian Newey's raised nose March in 1988 and then Jean Alesi's superb performances in the 1990 Tyrell, a lot of teams started trying out raised noses, the one that we see today started off with Benetton's B191 in 1991 setting the benchmark for the B192 the following season. By 1992, teams like Ligier, Ferrari, Jordan et al were all using the slightly raised nose.
By madbrad
But it was 95(or was it 96?) when pretty much all the teams adopted the Benetton style high nose.
The Alesi Tyrrell one is the look that Ferrari had that I am referring to. I'm thinking 94.
By 7UpJordan
But it was 95(or was it 96?) when pretty much all the teams adopted the Benetton style high nose.
The Alesi Tyrrell one is the look that Ferrari had that I am referring to. I'm thinking 94.

The only team without the high nose that season were Tyrell, Pacific (ironic that they had reverted to the traditional nose when in previous years they used high noses) and Ferrari.
By madbrad
I prepared this handy chart to take us throught the models. The one I like for looks is the 94 412T1. The T2 has the low nose again. Note the 96 F310 does not yet have the de rigeur high nose, but the 310B will later in the season.
By 7UpJordan
Both versions of the F310 have got to be the ugliest F1 cars in history.
By madbrad
^^Agreed, although if one peruses them all one might find worse.
By Marco
Both versions of the F310 have got to be the ugliest F1 cars in history.

That looks almost indycar! 8)
By madbrad
The ugliest Ferrari is the beluga. Lemme go find a pic...

OK I got this stuff:
See, the 310 at the beginning of the season as seen in my previous pic had a low nose and they were getting laughed at for not having a high nose like the other kids, so they pasted on a new nosecone mid season so it could net evern more chuckles.
Then fir 97 they had time to redo the forward half of the tub so it could look a little more normal.

See our F1 related articles too!