FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By Jabberwocky
I was watching an interview with him in it on Sky earlier, He was being interviewed by Murry. Hunt was stood there with a fag in his hand and seemed like a nice easy going bloke. It is a shame that we now live in a PR driven world where the fans never get t osee that side of people.
By LewEngBridewell
At least Vettel seems chilled during interviews with a good sense of humour. The same goes for Jenson Button too. :yes:
By Jabberwocky
I know, but Hunt just seemed to be chatting to his mates with a camera in the back ground. There was no:-

"We at <insert team sponsor> <insert team name> <insert engine manufacturer> did the best we could. We would also like to thank <insert tyre manufacturer> for doing a really good job." type script that we hear all the time.
By andrew
F1 is all about image. Look at Kimi Raikkonen. When he was at McLaren and Ferrari he hardly said a word and was a right grumpy bugger. Switch to WRC and he's laughing and joking in interviews - totally different person. F1 has gone far too up its own blown diffuser.
By Jabberwocky
I blame the PRS*

*Personality reduction system

and CERS**

**Comedic Energy Recovery Systems
By madbrad
James Hunt proposed to his girlfriend 11 hours before he died. She said yes.
By Fred_C_Dobbs
Political correctness my arse!

And on at least two occasions, Sh-Hunt engaged in fisticuffs with track officials.

By madbrad
[youtube]DpZnE7gj0gY[/youtube]

Ah yes the infamous Mosport '77 marshall punch. He wanted to go nearly onto the track to shake a fist at Mass, and the marshall did his duty and tried to stop him from going on the track. The punch was of course not a conscious decision, and his anger wasn't directed at the marshall. You can see him immediately apologizing. He was not only in a red mist but I believe also a stupor from the impact. Notice he didn't bother to put his shoe back on. he was fined $2000 for the punch and $750 for walking to the pit in an unsafe manner.
He is documented to have punched another driver on at least one occasion, as well as public yelling matches with fellow drivers.
James Hunt discovered Gilles Villeneuve. It's strange how lives of F1 drivers converge, stray, then reconverge. It's also like a Kevin Bacon effect. This race, Canada '77, was Gilles' F1 debut. Lauda, Hunt's close friend, quit the season that weekend because he was offended that Ferrari intended to run a 3rd car for Gilles, and he had clinched the title anyway and he had a deal with Brabham for '78. Mass was Hunt's teammate at Mclaren. Hunt was lapping Mass while defending the lead from close harrassment by Mario Andretti in the Lotus, and instead of lapping him cleanly, got run off by him. About 5 years later, Gilles' attempt to get by Mass in qualifying also went awry, and Gilles paid with his life. Coincidentally Gilles was also in a red mist over his teammate.
By OPENM1KE
Theres a film about Hunt and Lauder's so called 'rivalry' next year, should be interesting although I still think Lauder was 10x better driver at his peak...
By andrew
Who's Lauder?

I think Hunt would be lauder. He was a bit of a hell raiser in his heyday.

Terrible pun, I know. :hehe:
By LewEngBridewell
Who's Lauder?

Just so you know OPENM1KE, you could earn yourself a week's worth of torture in darwin dali's dungeon for making such mistakes! :yikes::hehe::wink:
By darwin dali
Who's Lauder?

Just so you know OPENM1KE, you could earn yourself a week's worth of torture in darwin dali's dungeon for making such mistakes! :yikes::hehe::wink:

:yes: and it's a hard earn :twisted::whip:

See our F1 related articles too!